Red Hat Pin

Hope you like the easier version!

Approximate Time: 30-60 minutes

• 17 yards (from shoulder to tip of hand measurement) double strand red crochet thread
  • size E hook
  • cool temp glue gun
  • purple rose, trimmed down to 1/3", ribbon bow for side, and 5" of ribbon
  • 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" red felt circle
  • pin back
  • optional: purple feather, some purple seed beads, and spray glitter or gel
  • magnet piece about 2" long

Instructions:

I have submitted this kind of hat before, but now I am redoing the pattern. I no longer need a soda cap, or stuffing, etc.

1. For the base, yarn on, then chain 4, making a DC in the first stitch from hook, and 12 more in the same stitch, for a total of 14. Join.

2. Chain 3 and make DC in same stitch, then 2 in each stitch around for 28 DCs. Join.

3. Chain 6, skip one stitch and slip stitch in 3rd stitch, repeating around till you have made 14 loops. Join, break off and work tail into back.

4. For the top, chain 6, make 1 DC in 3rd chain from hook, then 3 more across for 4 DCs. Chain 2 and turn, repeating the 4 across till you have a strip that is 30 rows long. Break off.

5. With a small dab of glue, start the strip rolling and keep it flat on the top, then a small dab in the middle and one at the end. Let cool.

6. With the 5" of ribbon, dab a dot of glue at the end of the strip and secure the ribbon there, let cool till secure, then run the ribbon around the hat top to meet the beginning of the ribbon, and secure.

7. Trim any you have left over.

8. Glue a ribbon bow to that spot. On the top of the spiral, dab a bit of glue on the center of the swirl and push the trimmed rose down the center of the spiral. Hold till secure.

9. On the flat base, glue the felt backing to the back side of the base keeping the minimal glue on the edges. Keep in mind that even cool glue can burn, and it will often ooze through crochet work.

10. Press down with a cup or mug, or something flat that protects your fingers.

11. When the top and bottom are done, simply glue them together. Glue pin back so that when it's worn, the hat hangs down with the ribbon bow on the bottom.

NOTE: These pins are to be worn indoors. Inclement weather isn't advised.

OPTIONS: You can make your hats magnets instead of pins if you like. Or, you can doll up your pretty pin with some feathers, (like on a boa), some seed beads on a string around the base of the hat band, and spray the whole thing with red or purple glitter spray or paint. Just a touch will give it a pretty finish.

You can also make a pretty Easter Bonnet with pastel thread, and flowers all over the top. And, a Patriotic Straw hat using cream or white for the hat, and some red/white/blue ribbon and flowers.

I hope you find this pattern easier than the other one I submitted. I know I did!

By Sandi from Lake Zurich, IL

You make it look so easy. Very cute.

Wow, I love your pin. I think I'll make some in different colors for the girls I know, that aren't in the red hat society age group. Thanks a lot.

Thank you both. I have made these in pink, yellow, mint green, peach, and lavender, all for spring. I will be making some in Ecru, with Navy/Burgundy for an Americana 4th of July fair. You can make them out of black with silver/gold threads, or just black with some silver giltter spray and fancy them up with faux gems, too. Using the basic pattern, you can make them in any style you like.

I am going to enter this, plus other pins I have made over the last couple of years into the State Fair in Salem, OR this year. I am back in Oregon, so that is nice.

Hope you all make lots of hats!

Sandi

I love these red hats! I am going to make one for each of my Red Hat Society "Sisters" for Christmas! Thanks for sharing! Smiles :) Teresa

Crocheted Bracelet
Making Crochet Jewelry
Crafts CrochetApril 1, 2011
wearing two bangles
Making Crochet Bangles
closeup of necklace on mannequin
Making a Crocheted Chain Necklace
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
🎉
🎄