Be Wary Of Flea Medication Allergies

Please test your cat for allergies to flea meds by applying only one drop at a time. Flea meds almost killed my cat. I've been up all night, every hour force-feeding water to my cat. He was so sick, he went 48 hours without eating or drinking anything and had a fever after I applied the recommended dosage of "Advantage" flea drops to his neck (which I bought at the vet).

Thankfully today, he's feeling much better and is eating and drinking again. What a scare that was. I've since heard many stories of seizures and foaming at the mouth in cats with allergies or sensitivities. My friend tried just one 1 drop and his cat started foaming at the mouth!

I believe the dosage on these "once monthly" flea drops (for the back of the neck) should read: Apply half now then the other half in 2 weeks. This way their little bodies won't be overwhelmed with so much toxic poison at once. My cat is allergic to the "natural" flea drops (they contain strong peppermint and eucalyptus oils). So next time I will try just one drop of "Revolution" (a different brand) and if he has no reaction after 24 hours, I'll only apply half the dose and the other half 2 weeks later. After calling my vet, they say these products can shut down their organs (like kidneys and liver) and also cause seizures in many cats. I wonder why you don't hear about this until it happens to your cat? I hate to give him anything toxic like this, but I'm extremely allergic to fleas.

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Years ago, when Frontline first came out, both my Vet & several breeder friends told me to use a syringe and remove all the Frontline from the plastic bubble,[ I had 6 dogs at that time] and put 1 drop on each dog until it was almost gone; then put the remaining few drops [one drop at a time] on my largest dogs. Have never had a problem doing this!

I had a cat that had a reaction to flea powder - after she licked her fur all skin inside her mouth peeled off & ulcers were left . It was proven to be the powder & the company apologized. Also with ADVANTIX - I only give 1/2 the recommended dose every 2 weeks to my small dogs . And to prevent sickness after using worming tabs, I give 1/2 the tab one night followed by 1/2 the next as these tabs can make the dogs vomit.

Applying Topical Flea Medication on Cats
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Pets
Pets FleasMay 27, 2009
Dog with a Flea Collar
Using a Flea Collar
A dog outside playing with a ball.
Dog Won't Come Inside
Buying Generic Capstar Flea Medication
A puppy scratching at fleas.
Giving Medication to Pets