Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Wrinkle Releaser Recipes

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Homemade Wrinkle Releaser Recipes

Cut down on ironing and save money by making your own laundry wrinkle releaser. This page contains homemade wrinkle releaser recipes.

Solutions: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser Recipes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Frugal Wrinkle Releaser

Instead of buying pricey wrinkle releaser, when the fabric softener bottle is almost empty fill it half way with clear water, shake and pour into a spray bottle. It works exactly the same was as the $4.00+ per bottle stuff in the stores. Use it for freshening clothes that don't quite yet need to be laundered or for quick wrinkle treatment. Works great!

By Sharon from Warrensburg, MO

Tip: Homemade Wrinkle Release Spray

Mix 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup fabric softener and 1/3 cup of vinegar in a spray bottle with fine mist nozzle. Spray onto clothing then tug and pull the item to smooth it. Hang or lay flat to dry. This really works good.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Tip: Spray Wrinkle Releaser Recipe

My daughter, Traci, gave me a tip on getting the wrinkles out of clothes that were left in the dryer too long and got wrinkled. You can mix a small amount of any type liquid clothes softener with water in a spray bottle then hang the wrinkled item on a hanger and spray generously. Hang the article either outside or somewhere in your house and let dry. You will be amazed at the results. I hardly ever have to iron anymore. Try it! Your clothes smell great too.

By Gelene from Rotonda West, FL

Tip: Making Febreze Type Fabric Freshener & Wrinkle Releaser

I love the smell of Febreze, but can't stand the price so I searched for an online equivalent which I can not take credit for but will gladly share. Go to any local store and take the caps off the liquid fabric softener, sniff away till you find one you like. Purchase the softener and a spray bottle.

Take two capfuls of the fabric softener and fill the rest of the spray bottle with water and wallah! Instant fabric freshener. If you prefer a less potent smell you can use 1 capful of softener, it still works the same.

Also, if you want to make generic wrinkle releaser you use 1 capful of any liquid fabric softener and fill the rest of the spray bottle with water. Spray on wrinkled clothing tug to smooth and hang to dry - wrinkle free.

But the coolest thing is if you keep your bottle of fabric freshener in your laundry room, you can simply spray it on the wet clothes when placing them in the dryer, I use 8-10 sprays per load and you no longer need dryer sheets but get that oh so lovely smell and feel that fabric softener sheets give your clothes.

By MomFor2Gifts

Tip: Binder Clips For Spraying Wrinkled Clothes

I use metal binder clips or clothes pins to add weight by clipping them on the bottom hem before hanging and spraying. How you place them depends on the garment but I use it on linen mostly.

By

Tip: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

I was buying a bottle of wrinkle releaser every week so I decided to experiment with cost costing methods. At first I simply added water to make the bottle last longer. Then I decided that was still too expensive. Now I take a large spray bottle and fill it with cold water. I then add about a teaspoon of fabric softener to the water. This gives it a wonderful smell and is working just fine.

My husband loves that I personalize the scents that he enjoys. Also, I find that cream and light blue softeners work the best. You want the water to be slightly cloudy, too much and it will not come out clear. For extra wrinkle release, spray then throw in the dryer.

By twistedpigtail from Batesville, AR

Tip: Wrinkle Spray

I love using the solution of 1/2 water, 1/2 fabric softener to use as wrinkle spray! It has saved me dragging out the iron so many times. I don't like the scent of most fabric softener so I made sure I got one with a more exotic scent, they are out there!

By Pam from Los Angeles

Here's some related links on this subject:

Tip: Liquid Starch as Wrinkle Releaser

Add about 10 oz. liquid starch to a large spray bottle, then fill with water. It works best on damp clothing and/or on the clothesline. Spray clothing and let dry, or smooth or pull if badly wrinkled. Leaves clothes with no wrinkles, and a crisp finish, with no ironing!

By wib57 from West Texas

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Homemade Wrinkle Releaser Recipes.

Question: Do Wrinkle Release Sprays Leave Stains?

I have had fabric softener stains on some clothes before, usually if it spilled directly on the fabric. Has anyone found that these wrinkle-release spray recipes leave spots or anything?

By Maureen

Question: Homemade Wrinkle Release Spray

Does anyone have a receipe for a wrinkle release spray like Downey? I'm having trouble finding it and also it's very expensive.

By Jill A.

Most Recent Answer

By Anoesis8203/29/2013

I love wrinkle release spray. However, the cost sucks. What I do is dilute it. I stretch it thin. I found that water alone works for wrinkles but I love the Downy fresh smell so I usually buy a travel size bottle, pour 1/3- 1/2 into a full size spray bottle and fill the rest with water. It works just as good on wrinkles!

Question: Homemade Wrinkle Remover for Dryer

How can I make a homemade wrinkle remover for the dryer? I like the wrinkle removers that you can spray on your clothes and then put them the dryer. The ones you buy are costly and I wanted a way you can make a solution at home that work as well.

By Claudia S

Best Answer

By OliveOyl01/07/2012

If you spray a wrinkled garment with a little water and tumble it in the dryer for a few minutes, the wrinkles come out. Add a little liquid fabric softener to the spray bottle of water if you have it on hand to add a nice fragrance. No need to buy expensive sprays.

Question: Wrinkle Removal Sheets for the Dryer

I recently saw an infomercial for reusable sheets you put in the dryer to remove wrinkles. Anyone know the name of this product?

By peg2911 from Columbus, OH

Best Answer

By JSRP [15]07/09/2009

I don't know the name of it but I know an idea that's cheaper. Simply take a regular sponge (one that doesn't have the green scratchy on the back) and mix up your own more frugal softener: in a gallon water jug (or milk jug that's been cleaned out) mix one or two tablespoons of the cheapest fabric softener with water and mix.

Once you have the laundry in the dryer, wet a sponge with the mixture and throw it in the load. Works like a charm!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

Request:

I want to make my own wrinkle releaser for clothing like Downy Wrinkle Releaser spray.

Carol from Huntley, Illinois

Answers:

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Remover
Post by(/font) (userlink:thr825347)mothercat_04(/userlink)

I have a homemade solution that works quite well for the downy wrinkle releaser found in a trigger spray bottle. After it emptied, I didn't want to spend all that money on another bottle so I experimented by putting about a 1/4 c of downy fabric softener and then filled it the rest of the way with water. It works great!

Homemade Wrinkle Remover

My recipe for clothing wrinkle remover is amazing! It saves energy, time (less ironing or using the sprinkle-with-water-then-throw-in-the-dryer method), money and embarrassment! When I bought aerosol wrinkle remover, it worked great, well worth the price, I thought. I noticed an alcohol smell. When my name-brand product ran out, I tried mixing rubbing alcohol 50/50 with water in a fine-mist spray bottle. It works really well on most wrinkles. (Not the ironed-in kind--sorry!).

Spray the wrinkles, smooth out the fabric, let dry. It dries quickly. It works better if you're NOT wearing the garment, but you can carry a tiny spray bottle with you for emergencies. Great for travel! Of course, always test an inconspicuous area first.

By Elizabeth Cardell

Archive: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

Is there a way to make home made wrinkle free spray for clothes?

Terry from Kitchener, Ontario

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

WRINKLE REMOVER SPRAY: 1 cup distilled water, 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol or cheep vodka, 1/4 cup liquid fabric softener. Put in clean spray bottle. ( 8 oz. distilled water, 4 oz. alcohol, 2 oz. liquid fabric softener) (08/25/2006)

By Cyinda

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

MY NO IRON TRICKS: I'll do anything to not get out the old ironing board. Here's a few tricks of mine.

Wash garment, put wet garment into dryer for 5 min, take it out and hang, if hems are turning up, hold hem (or button area) between both hands where you want to flatten, then pull back and forth over inside of washer top or over the side of a flat corner surface

If clothes are dry & wrinkled: Spray with water, shake out garment, throw in dryer 5 min, and remove. No wrinkles it's & ready to wear!

CURLING IRON: To straighten hems, collars, and button areas, etc. in a hurry. As you're getting ready, take your already hot curling iron and use that to iron stubborn areas back into place.

BLOW DRYER, spray hem or area with a bit of water, then hold flat and blow dry. Works great!

In summer time. I just stand there and turn slowly as my partner sprays my clothes with a fine mist of water or febreeze and by the time I'm ready to leave the house my wrinkles are gone! Yes, febreeze gets rid of most wrinkles! (08/25/2006)

By Cyinda

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

I use an old wrinkle releaser spray bottle, filled with tap water and a couple tablespoons of liquid fabric softener. Works just like Downy! (08/26/2006)

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

Try this: I have a large spray bottle.....I have one in my laundry room,one up stairs. One upstairs I use to spray carpets with. Laundry room I spray clothes as I hang they for any wrinkles. Take spray bottle fill with water Add one full cap Downy "Simple Pleasures. Magnolia & Orange naranio I buy this Downy smell at Walmart. Works Great........ (08/26/2006)

By Autumn

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

A small travel clothes steamer works wonders... They can usually be found at Goodwill for about a dollar. (01/23/2007)

By Greg

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

I don't even put fabric softener in mine, I either use plain water or water with 2 or no more than 3 drops of essential oil in it. Shake well before use, mist wrinkles, smooth out, and let dry. (04/27/2007)

By purrplekat

Archive: Frugal Wrinkle Releaser

Instead of buying a bottle of Downy wrinkle releaser, get a spray bottle and put about one ounce of liquid fabric softener in it, then fill the rest of the spray bottle with water. Shake up the spray bottle to mix the softener and the water. This mixture when sprayed on any fabric except silk or suede will release wrinkles. The added benefit is that bugs do not like fabric softener.

Source: This is from my own experience.

By Kristy from Burbank, CA

Archive: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

I tried some of that stuff in the grocery store that you spray on clothes to get rid of the wrinkles. It was expensive, but it worked. I looked at the label, and basically it was just fabric softener. So now I buy some fabric softener, put about 1/4 cup of it into a spray bottle with water, and spray it on my clothes. Then I hang them up and shape them on the hanger. Presto, the wrinkles are completely gone. It is a fabulous thing to know; I had to share. Does anyone else do this?

Cubangirl from Seattle

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

Been doing this since I saw similar hints here - and I can get a nicer scent than the usual "fabric softener" smell, with specialty fabric softeners, too. We are addicted, and I even have a small spray bottle for weekends away. (08/06/2007)

By

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

I put a dryer sheet in a small spray bottle and fill with water, then spray the wrinkled clothes and hang to dry. I carry a dryer sheet in my suitcase along with a small spray bottle to use when I travel. (08/07/2007)

By Dottie

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

I keep a spray bottle of water + 1 tsp. of laundry soap by my washer and in my closet. I hang wrinkled clothes on hangars, spray, then brush down with my hand. The wrinkles disappear. I also use it in my closet to pre-treat soiled clothes before placing them in the laundry basket. (06/26/2008)

By Sandy

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

There are some good ideas on here. I was wondering, with fabric softener, it usually rinses out. Does using Downy and water harm the clothes at all? I know it is diluted but I am just wondering from someone who has tried it. Many Thanks, E. (09/20/2008)

By Elaina

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

I, too, have mixed purified water and rubbing alcohol, 50/50 mix with about 2 Tbsp. of fabric softener. Spray on wrinkled garment, smooth away wrinkles with your hands and let it dry. It works like a charm. Another wonderful use for this is to spray it on "too tight" clothing and stretch the fabric. It will make the waistband on jeans, tight t-shirts, etc, stretch to fit the way you want. You can stretch some things up to a whole size bigger! (01/06/2009)

By Lauri

RE: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

Hi, great idea. What size bottle do you use, 33.81 FL oz? (01/20/2010)

By trebuh