Frugal Wrinkle Releaser

Instead of buying pricey wrinkle releaser, when the fabric softener bottle is almost empty fill it half way with clear water, shake and pour into a spray bottle. It works exactly the same was as the $4.00+ per bottle stuff in the stores. Use it for freshening clothes that don't quite yet need to be laundered or for quick wrinkle treatment. Works great!

By Sharon from Warrensburg, MO

This sounds like a great idea and it came just in time. I have a meeting tomorrow morning and no time to iron. I have one big concern though. Water without preservatives will get moldy over time. That's why you get mold in moist environments and indoor fountains develop scum. The small amount of fabric softener mixed into the water will most likely not be enough to prevent mold, or bacteria for that matter.

The best solution (no pun intended) is probably to make small batches as needed, i.e. only what you can use in a week. I would be very hesitant to spray my clothes with the mixture beyond that. You can be spraying mold spores, etc onto your clothes.

And no, covering the spray bottle doesn't help because mold spores are present everywhere in the air. When you screw the top on, you're trapping spores that were present in the bottle. You can prove this to yourself by putting tap water into a jar and then covering it. Watch it day after day and in a few weeks, you'll see mold, etc growing inside the jar. And no, the chlorine in the water is not powerful enough to kill mold.

Try adding grapefruit seed extract (GSE) to the water in the ratio of 10 drops of GSE per cup of water. You do not need to rinse the solution away afterwards. The GSE solution in the spray bottle will remain potent for a long time and can be reused again and again as GSE has a long shelf life. GSE kills mold naturally as the citric acid from the grapefruit attacks mold. GSE also disinfects and deodorizes as well. You can buy GSE from most health food stores and online.

Thanks, sounds great!

I excitedly was looking forward to getting information on releasing wrinkles from my skin. Took me a moment to figure this one out. lol

Sounds like a great idea! This is less expensive than the Dollar General brand of wrinkle releaser I use now.

Also you need to be careful and make sure you put enough water in it and mix it up good before you spray it because if you don't it could stain your clothes.

LOL, Wondernana!

If my clothes are clean but wrinkled, I just mist plain ole water on them (via a spray bottle) and give 'em a good shake/smoothing over. The wrinkles disappear just as they would with the fabric softener mixture (which I only use on clothing that could stand a little freshening up before wearing).