AdviceBaby Shower

Including Sibling in Baby Shower

Any ideas for the "big sister" at an upcoming baby shower? We want her to be involved and not left out. She is so excited about baby brother and we want her to feel included.

By vguy from Earle, AR

If we knew how old the sister is we might be better able to come up with some ideas.

Whats her age? She could hand out all the game favors etc by putting them in something that fits the theme of the shower maybe you & her could even make something together to let her pass them out in. Whats the shower theme? That will help us come up with better ideas too for her?

If you have not already done invitations, I think I would make them, and word them to make big sister the "hostess". Kind of like "Suzie would like you to join her to celebrate the upcoming birth of her baby brother!"

I would also let her be the one to open the gifts. (After all, mom got to do it with her.) I wouldn't worry too much about making the games do-able for her--she could be the one to pass out the game materials and prizes.

Opening the presents would be fun for her and writing down in the baby book who got you what. Maybe she could help greet people as they come in.

The sister is 5 yrs. old.

I think it would be a good idea to let her do the same things you would get help with from an adult. She can pass out the gifts, help serve food, make sure cards go into the right box with the right gift, greet people and hand out favors. She might even have her own disposable camera and take pictures for the baby book. Maybe you could extend this idea and let her make her own book to give the baby when the time is right. She could take pictures of all sorts of events: first smile, first steps, first tooth...all that "necessary" stuff we take pictures of. If she had her own book to make it would be an on-going project and she could take pride in the baby's advances. Smart parents you are to think of her feelings! Jealousy sometimes never goes away if things are bungled.

I just encountered this situation with my great-niece who is getting a baby sister soon. I bought a few small gifts including a onsie with "Little Sister" on the front for her to give her mother at the shower as a surprise. I had her print her name on the card also. Then, so she wouldn't feel left out, I purchased a shirt for her with "I'm A Big Sister" on the front of the shirt (which was a surprise for her and her mother). With the help of a friend, I also gave her a book (found at the used book store) called "Big Sister, Little Sister" to hopefully help her prepare a little better for the new arrival. Hope this helps. Oh, my great-niece is also 5.

Let the older sibling open the gifts for baby to be. Include the sibling in decorating and possible even give them a disposable camera to take pictures. Set the older sibling up a Big Brother/Sister chair next to mom. Just include them so they know they are just as important as their new sibling will be