Vacuums That Last

I am looking to purchase a new vacuum. I currently have a Bissell upright, and after a year it has worn out. It has no suction, and I have cleaned all of the filters and it made no difference. I went through the owners manual and can't figure out what's wrong. It is now making a rattling noise. I don't know if it is worth the money to repair. But I think I spent like $150 on it! Grrr!

I am willing to pay more for a vacuum that will actually last a few years. I am thinking of an Oreck or a Dyson. Does anyone have one of these, and how do you like them?

Thanks!

MaryKay from Marengo, IL

I LOVE my Dyson! I can't even recall how many vacuums I have owned that pooped out on me after a short time. I've had my Dyson for two years, and it works as good as it did the first day. It is also really easy to empty without a mess. You just bring the canister out to the trash bin, push the release lever, and all the dirt comes out of the bottom. Also, every time I vacuum, my house gets a "new" smell, sort of like new car smell. It's worth the extra money.

I own a Dyson "animal". I LOVE IT. Not only is it beautiful, but it works great. I vacuumed my floor once I got it, and it was full before I finished. I vacuumed it again, another full canister. It has made me a vacuum "snob". I help cleaning at friends/familys' and I get so frustrated that theirs don't work as well.

The number one reason to buy a dyson: It is set up so the consumer can fix it. It comes with a large manual and pieces that come off with the push of a button, for cleaning and unclogging. It is also bagless, so you never have to go to the store looking for the right bag size, and pay those prices each time. So, no "upkeep" charges$$$$$. Save the earth one bag at a time! hehee, I am so silly.

I love my Dyson too! Every six months or so, we take it apart and throw parts in the dishwasher and it looks like new. We bought ours about 2 years ago on Ebay for a discount. It was used but we have never had any trouble at all. I love the extendable wand, so easy!

Jess

I have had my Miele canister vacuum for 18 years and have needed to take it to the shop only once, last year! Wheels needed replacing and had a general 'going-over' with nothing wrong. First bought it as I had 12+ dogs, & a husband who tracked in everything. Bags run about $13 a year. Wouldn't think of getting anything else.

I would advise that if you have asthma or know someone that does, DON'T get a Dyson because you have to dump the little canister thingy and that puts ALOT of dust back into the air.

Just my own opinion.

Bobbi

Hi I have had aDyson for about 3 years and I wouldn't trade it for any other one.

Well, I have had quite a few vacuums over the years but the one I like most is the one I have had about five years, a Dirt Devil Swivel Glide. I've never had really expensive vacs except perhaps the self-propelled one. I had carpet when I bought the Dirt Devil but no longer have carpet though I do have 4 dogs. What I really like about the Dirt Devil are the wheels that swivel, making it very easy to maneuver..I have a back problem and it is easy for me to handle. I rarely have a problem with clogging or loss of suction.

I love my Sears Kenmore canister vac. Has out lasted a lot I have had in past.

I'd vote for an Oreck any day. Have one and love it. The little vacum you get with it is so handy , great for cleaning the car.

I have a childcare in my home therefore I vacum every day. I have tried them all over the last 30 plus years that I have been in bussiness. None of them lasted very long and Ive had everything from Kenmore to Kirby to oreck. In fact I had my oreck and had just had it cleaned and tuned when I got my Dyson animal. I got half a canister of "yuck" and that was after I had just used the "new" oreck. Needless to say I love my Dyson. I just empty the canister outside, I live in a single home so no problem for me. i can see where it wouldn't be the most convenient vacum in workd if you lived in an apartment.

Your vac probably has dust balls stuck inside a tube in its innards.

Try to take the whole thing apart, piece by piece and see what you can find.

Also, wash the cloth bag. It is supposed to breathe and the mini holes become clogged with dust that you can't see, making the motor work harder.

I had an Electrolux years ago that needed this kind of tender care annually. The co. charged a goodly sum to do this, so I decided to see if I could do it myself. I did, and it was no big deal. Annoying, but do-able.

Notice that my next vac was not this brand!

We use a dyson at work (nursing home-fully carpeted) It picks up stuff even the big heavy duty commercial vacs don't!!!!

I bought an Oreck about 9 yrs ago and just love it!! I'd buy one again in a minute. It's very lightweight ( 8 pounds) and great at picking up animal hair...we have always had cats and also have a LONG-haired German Shepherd ...they're fur factories! The small hand vac that comes with the upright one is great for stairs and furniture. I believe you can still try them risk free for 30 days.... Check them out on the web! Grandma Jan

My daughter bought a Dyson a couple of months ago and she loves it. The suction is great and it is easy to dump the dirt cup. She has cats and it picks up so well it is fantastic. The day I tried it out at her house, she had vacuumed the day before, and used the perfume powder on the carpet. When I ran the vac, it picked up the powder like no vac I have ever seen. She got hers on QVC or a shopping show that had 3 payments.

oreck and dyson are both good machiens, but I've had my Kirby for over 30 years, and aside from needing a new belt every few years (under $5.00) and one new fan when I accidentally sukkkkkked up a marble, it's been fantastic. I've since found a few in thrift stores and bought them for my (married) kids, and they love them too. The older ones that don't need a bag are the best. They can be found through your local Kirby dealer. He will no doubt try to switch your interest to a new machine, but unless you can spend a huge amount of money, and don't mind changing/buying bags, I'd stick with an older model. When you buy from a dealer, they are usually totally reconditioned, and most will give you many years of service.

The best vacuum ON THE PLANET is a Rainbow Vac - They suck the dirt through water & blow clean air out the other side (Air that is certified to be clean enough to use in an intensive care ward) I always stressed out about knowing the dusty air was being blown out the other end of my old vacuum- especially when I had a toddler following behind me breathing it all in. The vac's aren't cheap - around $1,800. - but I felt it was an investment for my home & I have real peace of mind every time I turn it on. It does everything - all the usual attachments. I live in NY & I know there is a dealer on Long Island - You might be able to find them on the web.

I inherited a Rainbow 10 years ago. I'm not sure how old it really is. We live in the country so i'm able to dump the bowl outside. ( good for nesting birds) We have alot of indoor cats and the Rainbow works best for me. I tried Oreck but was not happy w/it.

I used my mother's Kenmore canister vac for years. It finally gave out after more than 40 years. They don't make them like that any more.

I bought a Eureka "Boss" upright a couple of years ago. I like it. It was recommended by Consumer Reports. I also bought a 5-gallon Shop-Vac at Walmart last year for $28, and I use it for everything. The canister is lightweight and goes anywhere the cord reaches. Only drawback is that it is bagless. If you have dust allergies, wear a mask when you empty it.

I have had orecks and love them, I have the 21 year one now, I like that there is a Oreck store not far from me too.orecks are light weight, and I love the little hand one that you get free also.

I have the little canister Oreck and love it so much I'll buy the upright when the time comes. One thing I have heard a lot of people I've asked say about Rainbow and Dyson and any other bagless vacuum is that they are a pain in the butt to empty. You've pretty much got to do it outdoors. Emptying the Rainbow is sloppy work and the bagless create a dust cloud when you dump them.

Maybe you need a new belt.They will not pick up if the belt is broke. Usually you can replace them yourself. If you can not afford a expensive vacuum I would recommend a Hoover for a cheap one.

We kept buying Hoovers and the Sears brand (sorry, a senior moment), both costly, and my husband came home from WalMart with a Bissell (cheap) and we haven't had a bit of trouble with it. He decided that if we were going to pay a lot the have them fixed or buy a new one, he was going the cheap way. We're totally satisfied now.

I love Sanitaire. They are a commercial brand and you can buy them online.

Would not part with my Dyson. Excellent machine. Had a Kirby once. Very pricey but also good. Passed it on to my sister and she still uses it after 25 years

An Electralox will last years. My grandmother's is 30 years old. Gary Dominicus

I have always had cheap vacuums in the past, finally got a Dyson! I would not own any other kind! love it!

Red Vacuum Cleaner
Choosing a Good Vacuum Cleaner
Consumer Advice Product Reviews House and Home Vacuum CleanersMay 2, 2007
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
woman wearing nylons
Making Nylons Last Longer
tennis shoes
Making Your Shoes Last Longer
Cordless Stick Vacuums
Cordless Stick Vacuums Reviews
🎉
🎄