Small Kitchen AppliancesAppliances

Roaster's Digital Timer Light Burned Out

I have had my grilling/roaster for some years now but the digital timer light on top next to the on/off switch has two bits of light out now. I was wondering if you would tell me where to get a new one as I do not want to throw it way, its too good.

David

If you're not used to do it yourself repairs on electronic equipment that works at high voltages then be safe and don't go poking into it. Use it as is if you can.

Otherwise you might be able to see a part number on the part that is supposed to be lit. Try Google on that part number to see if anybody on the web is selling it. Or if it's attached to a circuit board you might be able to order another circuit board from the manufacturer shown on the label that is usually on the bottom of the appliance.

Now, just because it says "digital" doesn't mean that it is! However, most small lights on appliances are LEDs, or light emitting diodes, and if you know how to SAFELY open up the device (and solder), you can replace one easily.

I am only writing this to replace an LED - it will look something like a fuse or a christmas light. If it looks like a tiny light bulb... it is a tiny light bulb! A bulb would need to be replaced with the same wattage bulb, and fit into the enclosure.

LEDs are cheap and they use very, very little power. Very thrifty! I just found an assorted 20-pack of them at Radio Shack for under $3. This might actually be cheaper than buying the exact same one.

If you're repairing electronics, you need to know how to solder, so I'm assuming you can do that. It's relatively easy to learn, and as long as you don't burn yourself, pretty fool-proof.

The main thing to keep track of when using an LED is that *D*iodes are *d*irectional - LEDs will have a little ring around one end. When you take the old one out, put the new one in with the ring marking on the same side. Should be a relatively easy replacement.