Cracked Biscuits

My biscuits have cracks on top of them. What am I doing wrong? I use White Lily flour, crisco shortening and buttermilk.

Vickie Jo from Clarkesville, GA

I always put butter, or oil on top of my biscuits. They brown very well on top. Be sure you pre heat the oven first.

Good Luck

Hi, I used to manage a biscuit breakfast place. An old lady who worked there was from Tennessee, said to rub the tops of the biscuits with butter. We used melted butter with a brush. If you do it right when they come out of the oven it makes them soft on the top.

everybody loves my biscuits and here's my recipe--

1 stick of margarine-cold-right from the fridge

2-3 C of self rising White Lily flour

blend this with a pastry blender or two knives.

pour in enough buttermilk in to the mixture holds its shape to form a loose ball. It will be a soft dough.

Tear off a piece of wax paper large enough to spread dough. Dust generously with flour. place dough on floured wax paper, dust dough liberaly with flour. Cut out biscuits with a round cutter(I use a small can that I've cut the bottom out of. I learned this from my Greatgrand mother when I was a little girl. She was a great cook,) Place your biscuits on a dark baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. I use buttered flavored. Spray a bit of butter spray on top too. I bake my biscuits in a hot over and watch them closely. 450* oven until the bottoms are good and golden brown. I then turn on my broiler and brown the tops. This makes them crunchy on bottom and soft in the centers. I have a friend who every so often I go to her house and make a huge batch, she freezes them and bags them up and she has her "Susie" biscuits any time she wants them. What are friends for?

You're putting too much shortening in the biscuits, and/or you're letting them rise too much while making them. Probably too much shortening. Cut back, and also, a little tip we found out, keep your flour in the freezer, so it will be cold while making the biscuits, then they don't rise so much ahead of time. We buy flour in bulk when we found this out. And kept it in the freezer.

Take all of the above suggestions into consideration and use Canola oil. Healthier for you. I make mine in a 9X12 pan anymore cause I am lazier as I get older. Can cut them to "your" size. I call them pan biscuits. As long as they get eaten. :-)

I remember my Mom making homemade biscuits and gravy. She always cut the biscuits out using the open end of a glass. She would

always pour a little oil in the bottom of a pan and coat both sides of the biscuit as she laid it in the pan. They were always PERFECT!

There are 8 of us kids left.. we all say no one cooks like Mom did! :)

I agree, brushing them with butter is a must. Also, I think you need to be sure the dough isn't too dry or overworked. Bake quickly in a hot oven.

Cheryl

http://www.2ewenique.com

Biscuits made from scratch.
Making Biscuits From Scratch
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceJanuary 25, 2007
Buttermilk Biscuits
Buttermilk Biscuits Recipes
Onion Cheese Biscuits
Onion Cheese Biscuits Recipes
Biscuits on White Background
Homemade Biscuit Recipes
Cracked Fingertips
Remedies for Cracked Fingertips
🎉
🎄