Make Pesto From Different Herbs

I know pesto is traditionally basil, thyme, etc. mixed with olive oil. But the other week I had some parsley and cilantro that I knew was going to go bad by the end of the week.

So I finely chopped the parsley and cilantro. Add salt to taste. Add in enough olive oil (or canola oil) to cover the mixture. Stir. Put it in a mason jar with a lid (I did not can it, just for storing purposes).

Now I just use a spoonful or so in whatever recipe I need.

I am unsure of how long this keeps; however if you were to add a tablespoon of vinegar or so I don't think it would harm the flavor much and would help preserve it longer. At having it in the fridge for 3 weeks, it still tastes and seems fine.

By Strawberryparfait from Charlotte, NC

Great tip for something a little different! I've also used ground pistachios instead of pine nuts for a change; only concern I have is how long this will keep in the fridge. Check this cooking board:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f76/homemade-pesto-sauce-25741.html

A couple of chefs there say that ten days in the fridge is likely safest, maybe a little longer ( two weeks) if you float a little olive oil on top of the leftover pesto. But this stuff will keep a full year if you make pesto ice cubes from it and store it in the freezer.

Pesto sauce in a white bowl.
Homemade Pesto Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesMarch 19, 2010
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Pesto Pizza Recipes
Pesto Pizza Recipes
Drying and Storing Herbs
Drying Herbs
Herbs
Freezing Herbs
🎉
🎄