Clothing StainsCleaning

Spray Paint on Jeans

I accidentally sprayed black spray paint (enamel) on my new, pink jeans. I've tried getting it out with hairspray and nail polish remover, but neither of these things help. I'm open to any suggestions!

Nardia from tweed heads NSW Australia

Alcohol usually works.

A product available in the U.S. called "Goof-Off". Typically sold in a round metal can, yellow & red. It is made to remove painting mistakes on fabrics & maybe other surfaces. If you use any type of chemical, work from the outside toward the center to avoid spreading the paint stain. Or soak the stain, allow it to dissolve, launder it immediately, DO NOT DRY in a clothes dryer... might have to repeat the process till the paint is gone. The heat of the dryer will futher set the stain in. Often it is helpful to soak the stain from the back of the garment also, to avoid it being pushed further into the fabric.

I think it's going to come down to needing to do big black designs with additional paint to save them. Maybe a word written in oversize letters across them? a big hibiscus of pink in the middle of black? zebra stripes? I know, not as good as the pink jeans were.

Good input.

Paint remover? I don't know if Citristrip can be had in the land of OZ. It is virtually non-toxic, although very slow. Other more powerful chemicals could be used, outdoors.

Or just spritz on more paint strategically, so it all looks like it was done on purpose.

Alcohol is great for getting off latex (house) paints. Probably will not touch enamel.

Maybe this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. My son got white spray paint on his good jeans. I think that they have been washed and dried one time since. Is there any way to remove the white paint stains from his jeans?

AnnMel from AR

Answers:

Spray Paint on Jeans

Try some Goo-gone. You can find it at any hardware store or Wal-mart near the paint section. You will have to follow the instructions and wash the jeans separately, but it has worked for us on paint covered clothes - even ones that had been washed and dried already. (07/27/2006)

By Jennifer