Uses For Formula Canisters

My daughter has kept all the large baby formula cans. Any ideas what she can use them for, or do with them?

By s e chedzey

I'd cover them (by decoupaging) with fabric, Christmas wrap, gift wrap or cute napkins then fill them with homemade baked goodies (like cookies or homemade candy) for Christmas gifts.

They can also be filled with little crafting kits for kids & adults like:

Homemade Play Dough: Put 3 or 4 different colors in the container, each in it's own zip-lock bag.

Coloring: Coloring kit print out coloring pages from the internet (just Google kids free coloring pages) then make sure they can fit rolled around the side of the inside of the can then put in crayons & or markers & paint.

Embroidery or Counted Cross Stitch: This kit would be for a teenager to make their jeans fancy or do little just-starting projects.

Plastic Canvas Kit: Fill with pieces of plastic canvas then add different colors of yarn or twine.

Stamping Kit: Buy little stamps & stamp-pads at the dollar store & add a small pad of paper.

Fabric Painting Kit: buy puff paint etc & print out directions.

Beaded Animals: For kids 6 - 12. You can buy big beads then print out directions for making beaded lizards, beaded hearts & other shapes. Add 5 or 6 key chain rings & colorful twine.

Cookies: Fill with make your own cookie dough powder & directions.

Spiced Hot Tea, Instant Cai or Cocoa Powder: Have you ever had that tasty hot tea made with instant tea, tang & cinnamon & clove powder? It's very good, I'm sure you can find a recipe on the internet.

Knitting or Crocheting kit for beginners: Get enough yarn to make a hat or a scarf or granny squares & add a crochet hook & printed-out directions, if it's knitting you'll either have to use the needles that are hooked together (for circular knitting) or attach the needles to the side because the'll be to long to fit inside the container.

Yarn Animal Kit: When I was a kid I made a yarn octopus. It required directions, a Styrofoam ball (for the head). You start at the top of the head, cover the Styrofoam ball, then you tie a piece of yarn around the bottom of the ball then braid 8 legs *Presto* you have an octopus.

Seeds: An inside herbal garden. Add 5 or 6 little peat pots & packets of seeds... A baggie of potting soil or those crystals you can grow in (they expand when you add water).

Kits for the Homeless: Each year we like to make up hygiene kits for the homeless. They need things like small sample sizes (so they can fit inside their pockets) of shampoo, toothpaste & toothbrush, deodorant, shaving cream & razors. Also, they appreciate warm socks, gloves, scarves & hats.

Beading Kit or Jewelery Making Kit: Adult, Teenager or Child... Who wouldn't want a kit to make their own earrings, necklaces or jewelry...

Hair Adornments: Make or buy scrunchies, hair combs, hair clips & fancy barrettes... Every child & adult likes fancy things for their hair!

Barbie Clothes: How about a "take anywhere" Barbie or any small doll clothes kit... Something a child can bring along in the car to keep them occupied!

Glove Doll: On HGTV (Carol Duval show) they showed at great idea. It was a doll made out of those small knit gloves that stretch so much. You'd add all the supplies you'd need. Buy the gloves 2 pair for $1 at dollar store. that way you'll get 4 dolls for only $1. Here are 2 URL's to look at: ... ve_doll_for_little_girls.html?cat=24

Here's a picture of the "Glove Doll".

I buy powered rice milk and save all the canisters by removing the label from the cans. I make all my own hot cocoa and hot cappuccino mixes and give the mixes away during Christmas time. I print out my own labels on the large adhesive shipping labels and stick them on the can which tells you how much mix to use in a cup of hot water.

All the grocery stores and the health food store in my area do not sell powered rice milk but only powdered soy milk. I had to order it from

I used one of the tall ones to stuff plastic grocery bags in, then I cut an X is the lid & cut just a small bit of the tips of the X off so I can get my finger in if I need to. It works just like kleenex tissue, I can pull them out as I need them. Takes up very little space & I think I got about 50 bags in one can!

I just won some good "kudos" for this one. Good luck!

A gift made with a formula can.
Uses for Formula Cans
Crafts Recycled CraftsAugust 25, 2009
Baby Formula Scoop
Craft Ideas Using Baby Formula Scoops
Film Canister
Uses for Film Canisters
Saving Money on Baby Formula, Baby bottle laying on its side with formula in it.
Saving Money on Baby Formula
Baby being fed with formula.
Removing Baby Formula Stains from Clothing