Inexpensive Repair for a Sweatshirt with a Shrunken Neck Opening

What is the cheapest way to put a zipper in a sweatshirt that doesn't have one? The neck hole has shrunk so much I can hardly get out of it! Any other idea is cool too. I won't spend more than the sweatshirt costs.

By Peg from Boston, MA

Buy the cheapest zipper you can find. However, I would probably cut a slip as far down as you want to and then sew some velcro in the slit. Or else just cut a slit and turn the edges over a little bit, then just hand sew to make a little hem.

Yes, the suggestion of a slit is the easiest solution as redhatterb has done. I'd make it look like a modified V-neck. If you don't want the neckline so open you can sew in a piece of fabric to make it look like there's a tee shirt underneath.

I would cut off the neck opening binding and add ribbon or trim to hide the cut fabric edge or leave it as is if you like the look.

You could cut the ribbing out and make the neck opening larger and replace with new ribbing, bias tape, or a crocheted or knitted cowl neck.

Home and Garden Repair ClothingFebruary 18, 2011
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
Sweatshirt Logo
Removing a Logo From a Sweatshirt
A woman in a white t-shirt grabbing her sore neck.
Avoiding Neck Strain