Inexpensive Frames Needed

I saw an article recently which describes decorating walls with old calendar pictures. It advises you to get 12 of your favorite pictures from old calendars and frame them with "diploma/certificate frames". What I am wondering is WHERE you buy these fames and if anyone has any other ideas for inexpensive framing.... or just for decorating walls in general. I have so many "bare walls" in oversized rooms.

Thanks.
Anjeena

the dollar store in my area sells them for, well, a dollar! lol. but dollar stores vary greatly.. Sometimes they aren't the nicest looking, but one coat of acrylic paint makes them look brand new (if you want something shiny.. just shalac(sp?) over them.

Walmart has a section of frames called "Dollars and Sense" I believe.. They sell for sometimes even under a dollar, to probably 3 dollars max.

Hopefully that helps!

Hi. I wrote the article you mentioned. I bought the frames at Target. They were in the home decor section and on sale for 4 for $1.99. But I have also seen them cheap at KMart, Michael's and Walmart. Hope this helps.

Just like another poster stated, dollar stores (Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Wave, etc.) have picture frames, but I find some of them look kind of cheap. However, they can be jazzed up and disguised somewhat. The metal ones can either be spray painted or brush painted. Spray paints are available in metallic colors, matte, satin, gloss, and even textured finishes and colors.

The wood frames can also be painted, or if you find bare wood frames, they can be stained with wood stain. Besides the dollar stores, the discount department stores also carry inexpensive frames. In addition to the calendars you mentioned, postcards and even greeting cards fronts with a picture mat look good in a frame, and most people can't tell it's a greeting card or postcard when it's paired with a mat. Picture mats can be purchased at some Wal-mart stores inexpensively or at craft stores. Posters of famous art can also be purchased and framed for wall decor. Poster frames are also sold at Wal-mart, etc. Happy decorating!

Tori

If you have lots of large walls and need cheap decorating hit the GoodWill stores, they always have large prints posters, and paintings.....and the dollar store or family dollar has the frames for calendar type prints but they also have some theme things, like pictures and accents if you want to do each room in themes.... and go to different family dollars in your area....sometimes they have many different items...but becareful....the "dollars" add up quick.....

Have fun and good luck.........you may also want to check out the local church thrift stores......many a good find has been purchased there......ya might have to weed through a bit of unwanted stuff....but thrifty is as thrifty does.....

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will definitely try them. All great ideas.

Thanks again.

Anjeena

If you have a "theme" room you can decopauge old calendars directly onto the wall. I have a Rottwieller Room and I took old calendar pictures and pasted them on the wall. I took the larger 12"x 12" pictures for the center and put smaller (3" x 4") pictures around the larger one. Cheaper than wall paper and it is something you like. Also helps hide the cracks in the wall if you live in a old house.

The best way to make a calandar picture look more like art is to put it in a mat along with a frame. I have also filled in the little hole where you hang the picture by taping a piece of paper on the backside and coloring the hole with a colored pencil to match the area. Or you could paint a square on your wall a different color then mount four or six pictures in that area with plenty of space between them to let the accent wall color through with no frame to give it a modern artsy look that makes a large focal point. A different look is to buy white foam insullation panels at the hardware store, cut them to the size of your picture and glue the picture to it using spray adhesive. If you cut it a little smaller than the picture you can fold the picture over the sides to make it look like a canvas. Have fun!

I am looking at individual birds on my wall .I cut all 12 0f them off last years calender.

I think it looks better with just the birds then it did with the whole calender pictures.

I am thinking of creating my own bird area on that wall area ,making a few trees and pond maybe wires for birds to sit on,

I imagine you could do the same with old Cars ,Animals,and flowers,and it would be uniquely yours.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Regards

Mr. Thrifty

Checkout rummage sales when the weather is nice. I have done alot of my home decorating by shopping at those sales and you can always talk them down in price. Spray paint also does wonders for items that need a freshening up.

I often buy pictures/prints that I don't even like, because I can use the frame for another picture! Especially at the end of a season, you can find framed prints really CHEAP -- like after Christmas, they mark down all the framed Christmas prints.

I have to agree with the suggestions to go to thrift stores. Would also suggest flea markets and garage/yard sales.

Don't know your decorating style but I have also

hung quilts (new or old) and/or "throws" to help decorate large walls easily. There are so many "throws" out there now with such pretty designs it would be hard to choose anything that DIDN'T look good!

I buy those cheap diploma frames at and dollar store.

Crafts FramingMarch 1, 2005
Crafts Using Picture Frames
Crafts Using Picture Frames
Gold picture frame.
Cleaning Picture Frames
Homemade Picture Frames
Homemade Picture Frames
Making Decorative Photo Frames
Making Decorative Picture Frames
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 1:00:28 PM on 10.0.2.237 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.