Making Decorative Picture Frames

Category Decorations
You can hand make unique photo frames or turn plain or old frames in beautiful new seasonal or decorative frames. This is a page about making decorative photo frames.

Decorative Picture Frame Crafts

Share Your CraftCheck out these Decorative Picture Frame Crafts shared by the ThriftyFun community!

This is a page about make drawer handles into mini frames. Photo frames can be made from a wide variety of repurposed items.

Make Drawer Handles into Mini Frames

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Decorate a purchased frame or rejuvenate an old one with paint and miscellaneous items from your junk drawer. This is a page about junk drawer picture frames.

A frame with decorations from a junk drawer, such as a key.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

A wooden drapery ring, some lace, and other embellishments come together to create this pretty mini frame. This is a page about lacy wrapped mini frame.

Photo frame with lace edging.

What better way to display your child's school photos than with this craft stick school bus picture frame. Hang it on the fridge and gift one to the grandparents.

Hanging School Bus Picture Frame - finished bus photo frame

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Bits of broken crayons are melted and poured onto a piece of waxed paper that has the basic frame design drawn on it. Add additional elements using different colored crayons. Learn how to create your own by following the project steps below.

Crayon Frame - stick the photo on from the back

It's easy to create a custom frame for photos or artwork. This is a page about how to make personalized frames.

Personalized Frames

Add a personal touch to any photograph or piece of artwork. Paper can be used to cover an inexpensive frame or to make a custom matting.

Handmade Paper Frame

Make your own picture frame from recycled items for a fun customizable craft project. There are so many different items that can be used; glass, plastic, metal, wood, cardboard. Use your imagination for a great gift or home decor.

A picture frame made from newspaper.

Log slices can be used in many craft projects. Making them into picture frames is another excellent use for them. This is a page about making picture frames from log slices.

Stacked Log Slices

This is a page about making a film reel frame. If you are lucky enough to have or find and old 16mm film reels, you can try your hand at making this clever photo frame.

Reel with four photos.

This is a page about making a vintage frame. Lace, ribbons, buttons, and other embellishments can be used to decorate a plain photo frame giving it a vintage look.

A lace covered vintage frame.

This is a page about making a bark covered picture frame. For a rustic look, cover a purchased photo frame with pieces of bark.

Bark covered picture frame with additional twigs added for interest.

This is a page about decorating a wooden picture frame. Plain wood picture frames can be decorated in many ways to fit into your home decor or to be given as gifts.

A wooden frame with red glitter hearts.

Decorative Picture Frame Crafts

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these Decorative Picture Frame Crafts. If you have made this project please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own variation.

Updated: This idea came to me when I was reading about laminated wood products. I decided to try it out using cardboard and craft glue and came up with a very strong but very light wood substitute.

All you do is cut cardboard boxes (cereal, cookies, crackers, etc.) into strips and glue the strips together one on top the other.

several round frames

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Even if you don't have a frame, you can make your pictures look decorative with colored duct tape! Add a magnet to the back and you can display it on your refrigerator with pride.

Blue tape covered frame.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Decorative Picture Frame Crafts

Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following Decorative Picture Frame Crafts. Have something to add? Please share your solution!

I bought a nice wooden frame with a colander of apples in it for .50 a couple of years back. Today I finally had the time to fix it up properly by adding ribbon, buttons, fabric scraps, and an old glove.

It turned out really nice.

Finished framed print with embellishments, such a a glove, ribbons, buttons, and tiny trowel, etc.

When making a pet photo frame, instead of using "real" dog or cat treats, try making them out of polymer clay. Pets then will not attempt to eat the frames

Just cut a hole out of the middle with an exacto knife and paint the lid green. I hot glued on some red sequins for the holly berries and used fabric paint for the 2005. I made the bow out of red velvet. I used a twistie tie for the hanger on the back.

Wreath photo frame.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Revamp old photo frames for new uses. Even baby shower gifts! I revamped a garage sale find. I used what was suppose to be an old wedding bells procelain picture frame into a baby shower frame.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

To add pizzazz to your pictures, add something extra to them as I have done with this one. I picked this cute dog frame up on clearance for $1.00. Then, I took a piece of brown textured scrapbook paper placed it behind a slightly turned picture of my dog, Gabe. Then I printed out this quote by M. Siegal, "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative." It took less than 5 minutes and didn't require fancy equipment or skills: just a printer and Microsoft Word. I've done this to other pictures now and have received several compliments from visiting friends and family. So simple anyone can do it. By Jona Kessans

Pictures with Pizzazz!

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Load More

Crafts Home Decor DecorationsOctober 31, 2012
😎
🐛
😷
🌻
🎆