Decorating a Wooden Picture Frame

Category Decorative
Plain wood picture frames can be decorated in many ways to fit into your home decor or to be given as gifts. This is a guide about decorating a wooden picture frame.

To make a quirky picture frame try varnishing favourite sweets, jelly babies or licorice, all sorts look quite colourful, then glue them to a cheap picture frame. I suppose you could do the same by varnishing cookies, but make sure who-ever you're giving it to knows it's not really edible!

Kelli Mahoney0 found this helpful

This is a fun photo frame to display your dog's picture, but keep it out of reach of any canine companion. My dogs have a liking for this frame, and I have caught them on occasion coveting the bones on the front. Still, it is a lot of fun to give as gifts to your fellow dog lovers, plus you can give your dog a treat while you are making it!

Instructions:

1. Sand the wooden frame until it is smooth. Using a slightly damp rag, wipe off any dust.
  2. Paint the picture frame with the brown paint.
  3. Let the frame dry for 24 hours.
  4. Glue the dog to the bottom, right corner of the frame. Make sure the base of the dog is even with the bottom of the frame.
  5. Determine the placement of your dog treats on the frame, and then hot glue each one on individually.
  6. Place a photo in the frame, and then place out of reach of any dogs!

This craft project would make a great, inexpensive gift for family members and friends. My daughter made this personalized one in about an hour.

Approximate Time: Under 1 hour

Instructions:

Lay the picture frame flat. Decide on the type of design you wish to use. You could use a pencil to draw the outline of the design first, if desired. Position the self-sticking rhinestones on the frame. Insert your favorite photo and you're done!

By Mom of 1 from Wilkesboro, NC

This is a simple, inexpensive project which can be made to fit any holiday or decor.

Approximate Time 10 - 30 minutes

Instructions:

1. If possible, choose a flat rather than rounded frame, as they seem to work better. I found mine at a yard sale, but you can also get them at the dollar store.
  2. Choose precut, self-stick foam shapes to suit the occasion or decor (these are great for a child's room). I found buckets of these in many varieties at the dollar store. Before you peel off the paper backing, arrange the shapes to make sure they will fit where you want to put them. Once you are satisfied with your arrangement, peel the backing from the foam shapes and stick them to the frame.
  3. If you choose to make your own shapes, you will have to draw and cut them from foam sheets and then glue them to the frame.
  4. These frames make nice relative gifts when you include family photos. They also work well in kid's rooms, framing a beloved pet.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

I went to Michael's craft store and bought those plain wood frames for $1 that you can paint, I also bought some cute kid decals for decorating them. It was simple, I just painted bright fun colors on each side with acrylic paint and a sponge brush. Then I used lettering decals to put their name. I did one of each of my grandsons, and have a grand daughter arriving in 2 weeks, one more to make!

By linda from Bellevue, N.E

This unique frame in a frame is embellished with any kind of decoration you want. Mine happened to be Americana for the 4th. You can pick Christmas, Valentine's Day, and so forth. With a bit of time and effort, you too can have this unusual frame for/of your loved one.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

With some scrap fabric, glue, and embellishments, you can make a nice frame that is elegant and fancy at the same time.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a simple cute picture frame that can be used to decorate your home or to be given as a gift. I made a few for my house and gave one as a gift.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Everyone can use a frame. These wooden frames from Walmart come with a little dowel that goes in the back to stand the frame up. I had to be careful not to lose it, as the dowel is only a couple of inches long.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about decoupaged wood frames. Decoupage a plain wooden frame to create a unique and spectacular holder for a favorite photo or piece of art.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes