Making a Mosaic Picture Frame
Pieces of tile, wood or glass can be used to fashion a special picture frame. This guide is about making a mosaic picture frame
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Christine Weber0 found this helpful
May 14, 2006
Colorful pieces of tile elevate a standard picture frame to something extraordinary.
Materials and Equipment:
- an inexpensive unfinished wooden picture frame, any size
- mosaic tiles, available at any craft store, enough to cover the perimeter of your frame (to make the frame in the photo, use Venetian glass tiles)
- glue or silicone (be sure to check that it works for wood and tile)
- a glue spreader or Q-tip
- a plastic container lid, such as for yogurt
- a piece of paper larger than the frame
- a pencil
- grout and spreader (optional)
- Before you start, clear the table and cover it with newspaper or a large garbage bag to avoid getting glue on the table.
- Place all your supplies on the table in front of you. The goal of this project is to cover one side of the picture frame with tiles in a mosaic pattern. To do this, you will probably want to create a practice pattern first. Use the pencil to trace an outline of the frame onto the paper. Arrange your tiles on the border of this outline until you are happy with the pattern.
- Transfer the tiles from the paper test pattern to the picture frame. To do this, pour some glue into the plastic container lid and spread it on the back of a tile. Press the tile onto the frame and hold until it sets. Repeat with the other tiles until done. Set aside until completely dry.
- If you are making a larger frame, you may want to spread grout over the tiles (follow instructions on grout package). Allow to dry and wipe the tiles clean of grout afterwards with a wet paper towel.
- Place a picture in your masterpiece or give it to a craft-loving friend!
November 17, 20160 found this helpful
This is a guide about decorating a wooden picture frame. Plain wood picture frames can be decorated in many ways to fit into your home decor or to be given as gifts.