Storing Bird Seed With a Garbage Can

We store bird seed in our garage in a plastic garbage can with a lid. This keeps squirrels and rodents out. You can put the bag itself in there with a scoop or empty the bag of bird seed into the container and keep a scoop with it.

By Carolyn from Sioux Falls, SD

I disagree with you about the plastic garbage can for seed storage. Squirrels CAN eat through the plastic, as they did ours, and the can was the good plastic. What is even better is to store it in the METAL garbage cans; we still use a with a bungy fastener like you use in trying your trunk down, to ensure that the lid stays on. It has kept ALL of the critters out of our seed.

Oh, squirrels and rodents will chew through plastic garbage cans. I've see it. I use a large tin can with a lid for such storage. I dont know how I got them, but I know for sure at least one came with popcorn inside.

Best wishes.

I would use a metal garbage can ,squirrels can chew through a plastic one.When I went to refill my bird feeders the lid had a squirrel size hole in it.They are smart little buggers.

We use small metal trash cans with lids - the squirrels around here have chewed thru our plastic trash cans.

ditto..just about everything all ready posted!!

bird feeder
Storing Bird Seed
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesJanuary 17, 2008
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Bird Seed
Covering a Bird House With Bird Seed
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed