SewingCrafts

Make a Keepsake of Old T-Shirts

My best friend recently lost her mom, who was from a large family. There were 13 children and 7 were girls. My friend's mom loved t-shirts and had a big variety. Many are from vacation places and others have her favorite college football team. My friend would like to use some of the shirts and make some kind of keepsake for the remaining sisters. If anyone has any ideas, please pass along asap. She wants to give the keepsakes when the sisters get together during the Christmas holiday. Thanks

By Debbie from Arab, AL

If anyone can sew you might want to cut squares of the fabric and make a quilt/blanket from them. My cousin has a blanket like this made from her old shirts and she loves it. If there aren't enought shirts to make blankets for all smaller lap blankets could be made so that all could have the fond rememberance of mom.

You might select to frame the design of a shirt and give it as a framed piece along with a photo of your mom wearing that item. You could also use the design to make one side of a pillow them print the moms photo on fabric for the other side. Regardless of what you make it is a terrific way to celebrate her life!

I see many people making quilts out of precious memento items like this.

Make pillows out of them. Just stuff the t-shirts with fiberfill and sew up the openings. I think having a pillow they can use daily on the couch or the bed would be great. You should also look on the Thrifty Fun archives. I remember seeing a football jersey made into a pillow for a child. It was adorable!

November 19, 2010 Flag

My daughter had two old camp shirts. One was a tie-dye and the other had the name of the camp. They were too small and had a couple of stains. After washing, I turned the tie-dyed one into a small pillow. I cut the camp name out of the other shirt. Before I stuffed the pillow I sewed on the camp name. Now my daughter has a wonderful keepsake of her camp time!

By Savings Assistant from GA

Answers:

Make a Keepsake of Old T-Shirts

That is such a wonderful idea. I make quilts for my granddaughter and in one of the quilts, I cut up some of the souvenir items we received when we went to Australia for a pilgrimage to see the Pope. I made it one of the squares so that she will be able to remember what year we went and where. (11/11/2009)

By ciluvcows

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes