Keepsake Gift Ideas

Giving a keepsake gift can be one of the most appreciated gifts a person receives. It keeps on giving every time they look at it. This is a guide about keepsake gift ideas.

• small unfinished wooden box with a picture frame lid
  • sandpaper
  • acrylic paint
  • rubber stamps and stencil
  • rubber sticker letters
  • acrylic sealer spray
  • picture

Directions:

1. Lightly sand the box.
  2. Put design on with rubber stamps and stencil.
  3. Paint as needed.
  4. Put on rubber sticker letters.
  5. When done, finish with acrylic sealer spray or paint. Add your picture.

By Crafty Billie from Stockton, CA

This is my first and hopefully not last attempt at making a keepsake comforter for a new granddaughter. It was made with 8" squares of pale pink, purple, and yellow cotton with an off white backing and edge. The dimensions were 32 1/2" width and 45" length.

The pink satin ruffle was purchased at Walmart and the butterflies were from a lace overlay hand sewn on. The ribbon was woven through flat lace and I added yoyos made of the different colors. I hand quilted around each square. It's nothing really fancy but something that in years to come maybe she can drag around a comforter that mamaw made.

By Sharon, KY

This is a guide about making a signed vinyl record party keepsake. This creative party keepsake records the names of your guests and may be mounted or framed as a reminder of a fun get-together.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

When my great granddaughter was born, I wanted to give her something special, she could cherish for her lifetime.

Hallmark sells birthday numbered dolls, ages 1 and up. I started buying one each birthday and she now is 11. The store I was buying from stopped carrying them. I was having a hard time finding them, but finally found a store carrying ones up to twenty one. I purchased the rest I need, to 21.

Rather expensive all at once, but now I have her birthday gifts for another 10 years, and no worry about finding them. You can do this with any object. Her uncle always buys her a keepsake Christmas ornament, not always a Hallmark, dated, so she will have a start on her Christmas ornaments when she gets out on her own and has her first tree.

By Gladys Hill

Looking for ideas for a keepsake for my Mother's 90th birthday party. Her birthday is Dec. 23rd so I think it would be nice to have something that each person could put on their x-mas tree to remember her at that time of the year. Any suggestions?

Answers

If you like to do thread count (counted cross stitch) you could make tree ornaments with her name and birth date. I've bought cute round frames with hangers on top and made them for all family members. Quick and easy!

Several years ago I made keepsakes for each sibling at a family reunion with our mother. I bought 3" vine wreaths at a hobby store, and decorated them with mini items that relate to our teacher mom and her interests. I used tiny mushroom birds, tiny ribbon roses, apples made from little red pompoms with felt stems, musical notes cut from metallic Christmas garland, etc. She was a teacher that loved birds, flowers, teaching and music. Make a label for the back of each one with the year and event title. I put strong round magnets on the wreaths, as well as a gold cord loop. Everybody loved them.

Make a doll ornament dressed in the fashions of yesteryear with her hair color and hairstyle. By stringing beads and wooden shapes you can get in the craft places, you can put a cute thing together, and why not give her a fringed skirt like in the 20's? so it will swing and be in motion, eh?

My mother spent her last couple years in a small, friendly nursing home. One time the activities director had the residents make their hand print (I assume it was blue finger paints or tempra paint or some such type). It was made on a cream-colored sheet of paper which had the following verse on top:

MOTHER'S HAND
For my child:
My hands have grown older through the years,
And they have wiped away many tears.
They held you when you were young and wiped
a tear to keep you strong.
So, hang this on your wall to view.
Remember that I will always love you!

Unknown

Her name was put on it along with the year.
The four corners were trimmed in a fancy design; it was then put on a larger colored piece of construction paper and then either covered with contact paper or laminated.
Mother died just shortly after this. We had copies made for us kids and then the grandchildren requested copies also. It is a treasured reminder of Mom. I can see the lines on her hands and can reach and touch the print and feel close to her.

judy

Another wonderful idea! I love keepsakes that can be passed down! Can you just feel the emotion of holding your great, great, great grandmothers print of her hand?

Along with the saying, wow now that's just about the coolest! Thanks for sharing. It's wonderful and if done right, it will be priceless. Thumbs up from me!