Brown Papering a Vinyl Floor Before Faux Painting

I think I have a good idea for "painting" vinyl floors and need to know if anyone else has tried it? First, super clean the floor and prime it. I thought that I"d get a really large roll of light brown or light gray medium weight paper and cut it into 2 or 3 foot squares, crumple it tightly and leave it crumpled for a few days.

Then mix 1/2 water and 1/2 polyurethane, uncrumple paper, dip in water and poly mix and lay it out on the floor with 1/8-1/4 in space between, smoothing as much as you'd like to get whatever texture you prefer. When it's dry, faux finish to look like rock, granite, etc. and paint the lines in between. In fact, if you know the colors you're going to faux finish in, you could have your primer tinted to match your need. When all is dry, go over all of it with the kind of finish they use on ball courts, or 2 to 3 coats of poly. What do you think? Any ideas for bettering the project? Thank you.

By Elthea from Jasper, AR

Before I would try this on my floor and maybe run into problems, I would buy several pieces of vinyl and test out your theory. If it doesn't work you didn't ruin your own floor.

Fascinating. How on earth do you clean these floors? Marg from England

I have heard of doing this but not dipping it in water and varnish first. When I have seen it done, the paper is torn into irregular shapes and glued down on a primed floor. Then it is gone over with the water based varnish. Make sure you use a varnish that is water based or you will have severe yellowing.

My local quilt shop has used a similar technique on their shop floors. They bought the paper, glue and finish at Lowe's. Lowe's even taught them the process. They didn't do the faux painting. They just used brown paper crumpled it and dipped in a glue mix then laid it on the floor. When all the floor was covered and dry they put a top coat on it. It has the look of leather and they say is very easy to clean and the cushion from the paper makes the concrete underneath easier to stand on all day.

Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringAugust 3, 2009
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
White fake cake of boxes and bows
Faux Wedding Cake Ideas
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
🎉
🎄