Dog Won't Eat on Its Own

We have a parvo puppy that has been in the vets for 8 days. She is up and barking and wagging her tail, also keeping food down, BUT, she is having to be force fed as she won't eat on her own. How can we get her to eat?

Lucy from Sydney, Australia

Parvo irritates the lining of the stomach. You need something to coat the stomach so it does not hurt. When my dog had parvo I had arthritis real bad and was given medication to coat the stomach( I do not remember the name) and gave that to to the dog. Try Deglycyrrhinated licorice with Vitamin A for the stomach lining and zinc to repair the lining of the stomach. Carnosine and Glutamine also help with the lining of the stomach and intestines. I hope this helps. I hate to see these animals suffer.

Try making your doggy a mixture of cooked hamburger and rice. I remember a vet recommending this to our Boston Terrier when she refused to eat. It got her back in the pink very quickly. Good luck

My aunt always feeds a dog that has eating problems with finely chopped turkey bologna and

warm water. She says it works every time for her.

God bless you. : )

Thank you all for your help, unfortunately our puppy passed this evening but thank you and god bless for your support.

Editor's Note: So sorry to hear about your puppy Lucy. Please accept my condolences. Parvo is a horrible disease.

Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 23, 2007
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
small dog
Dog Diapers Won't Stay On
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Slice of cantaloupe with other cantaloupes in the background.
Peeling and Slicing Melon