Recycled Wire Hanger Yarn Dog

This is something I made for my children when they were little and am now making for my great grandchildren.

Materials:

• lightweight wire coat hanger
  • light cardboard for template
  • about 1 4 ounce skein 4-ply yarn color of choice
  • 30 inches of ribbon
  • 3/4 inch black pom pom for nose
  • 2 wiggly eyes 15 MM
  • white tacky glue or hot glue
  • small piece of red felt for the tongue

Instructions:

1. Bend the hanger using the photo as a guide. First stretch it out then bend according to measurements shown. These measurements are not critical, but make sure the "legs" are stable. The tail should be higher than the back.

2. Ad

3. Cut a template that is 2 1/2 inches wide and 4 inches long. Cut slots in the edge about an inch from the top.
  4. To make the ties, wrap the yarn around the long side 20 times, then cut along the bottom. This will make 8 inch ties. Repeat for the rest of the ties. You will need approximately 135-150 ties.

5. Place a tie through the slots on your template, and make 20 wraps around the long side for an ear. Pull the tie up to the top, slide off the cardboard and tie tightly at the top with a double knot. Repeat for the second ear.
  6. Ad

7. For body bundles, wrap 20 times across the short side of the template. Carefully slide off the cardboard and lay a tie under the middle of the bundle. Tie tightly around the bundle with a double knot. You will need about 135-150 body bundles. This may vary according to how tightly you pack them as you tie them onto the frame. The dog shown used 137 bundles plus the two ears.

8. To assemble, start with the circle for the head. Starting at the bottom front of the circle, tie on about 8 bundles, tie the ears in and then finish filling the circle with bundles. Next start tying bundles on the front legs. It is easiest to do work on both sides as you proceed from the front to the back of the dog, finishing at the top of his tail. Just tie them and keep pushing them together as you go. Cut a rectangle of red felt and round one end. Put a dab of glue on the square end, and tuck it in place pressing the yarn loops against it to hold it in place. Add the pompom for his nose and the wiggly eyes, using the photo for a guide.
  9. Tie a bow around his neck, and give him a little "haircut", trimming the ends of the ties that are sticking out all over.

I forget to time myself when I make a craft, but would estimate that it will take about 3 hours to complete this project.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

Hi, Thank you for the wonderful craft. It just makes you smile to look at the dog!

Absolutely adorable, Harlean. What a great craft to use up all those wire hangers!

This is too weird!!!!!! I had a pattern just like that one, waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy back in 1970. It's been that long since I made one of those. Anyway, I was thinking just the other day that I wish I could remember how to make one of these for my great nephew. It is the same doggone (pardon the pun) pattern!!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you. My original pattern came from Dorsey Conners, who used to do a column for one of the Chicago newspapers.

Just one question - - where do you get wire coat hangers these days?

You can get wire coat hangers at your Dry Cleaners!

absolutely the best craft i've seen. how adorable.i don't have the talent to make these but you have done a beautiful job.i applaud you and thank you for sharing

oh wow. i had one of those dogs when i was little. i had surgery and the mom of the boy across the hall from me made me one. it was pink and white and very dirty by the time we buried her. so cute

My daughter made something like this only she made a wreath from a circle pattern. Thank You for sharing Harlean, I love the dog!

Very cute!!!

I had one as a kid and always wondered how it was made!!!

Thanks for showing!!!

Doggie is just absolutely adorable. Hey Harlean, got a cat too?

That is just too cute. I may just have to try to out. I just gave away all my wire hangers though. Any idea where I could get some more? I don't think I ever see them in the store. Thanks.

OH MY GOODNESS, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THESE DIRECTIONS FOR 25-30 YEARS. MY MOTHER BOUGHT MY NIECE ONE AND SHE CARRIED IT UNTIL IT WAS A SMALL BALL OF YARN. SHE IS HAVING CHILDREN NOW AND I VOWED TO MAKE HER ONE. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR DAYS ON THE COMPUTER!! THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH

I just found this website and just the other day I called my mom and my aunt to see if either one of them remembered how to make these dogs. I remember I had one made out of varigated baby yarn (pink, blue, yellow, green). I can't wait to make these for my kids...if I can find metal hangers.

I have been looking for this for a year or more. Thanks

Rachel

this is the best craft ever!! my grandmother has 2, a black one and a white one. im making one for my friend, amber. shes always wanted a puppy... ill probably make her a green and pink one.

I'm so glad I found this! I made these dogs as a kid and wanted to teach my nieces and nephew and my memory is a little foggy. Thanks for posting the instructions and pictures!

Do you sell these dogs? I am looking to buy one for my Mom's birthday in white - she had one as a little girl.

Thanks Elisabeth

I have also use these pompoms in green and tie them on to a bamboo hoop , and put little balls of Christmas ornaments on for a good looking wreath.

I was so happy to see this! I had one of these as a child & would love to make one for my niece! Thanks!

I do remember my foster mother making this pattern. also, somehow she had long strips of yarn , not curley ,like this one. You bet, I shall make this yarn puppy. He's cute. also I am looking for the pattern of a doll that sets on the bed, it is made out of cream seperator disks ( from the old days of farming) these filters are sewed together with yarn.That dress. Sorry I don't remember much more. I am 73 and that era was 1942 for the dog and doll. Thanks Harleam, for the pattern that I have been searching for a long time..

Does anyone know how to make the clown? I saw one in the flea market. The clown was made the same same way like the dog. Please let me know. Thank you.

All this time I've been searching under yarn poodle and I've finally found the patterns you posted!! I ran out to buy all the supplies and my 6 year old daughter is 1/2 way there! She's so excited to see the final outcome and have her very own hand made yarn dog! Thank you so much for the posting!

I have been searching for this for at least over a year. I can't wait to go home and start it with my girls. I loved making these when I was a little girl. Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!

This was so hard and I'm still not done yet because I'm scared to do the head. I did for a birthday present for my cousin and her birthday was 5 days ago.

I searched for a very long time for this pattern! I was a Home Economics teacher some 30 yeas ago and we made an abundance of these dogs. They are so cute. Now I am an art teacher and will use this idea again. Thank you so much. I am also searching for the bed doll that was made from foam circles any ideas? Hugs!

I have always told my daugher, "the best give is always a hand made gift". She made me something for Mother's Day this year and she told me that she would love it if I made her something when she went away to college. Now she is off to college and I gave it a lot of thought and remember making these dogs growing up. I know making her one with the ribbon in her school colors will bring a smile to her face because mom made it. It was very easy to find on the internet. Thank you so much!

This is the cutest thing!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I want to try and make this!!

I just read all the post... I feel the same as every post here. Nothing like bring a little bit from your past present. A friend is giving me some pink yarn.. I remember making a pink poodle it was just around christmas time many years ago. I would sit under the the christmas tree and make pom poms. I have 2 daughters and can't wait to teach them how to make this cute poodle.

Donna

My husband's aunt made one of these dogs when she was in rehab for a stroke about 20 years ago. She gave it to our youngest son. Unfortunately it was lost in 1996 when a tornado took our home. Maybe now I can make one to try and take its place. Thank you.

Would love to have the pattern to make a cat with coat hanger and yarn and loved to have the pattern for the clown with coat hanger and yarn if some one have this please e-mail it to me thank you.

Thanks for posting this! Your instructions are very easy to follow.

I can't wait to teach my 10-year-old and her friends how to do this. Might be a great craft for her birthday party.

Thank you so much for your post. I used to make these years ago and I remember how I did the yarn but lost the pattern for the coat hanger. I made mine just a bit different however. Instead of leaving the loops of yarn and tying them on the wire, I cut the yarn after tying them in the loop. For the ears my loops were about 4 inches long (just like yours only cut in the middle after tying). The tail was made the same only about 6 inches long. The eyes, nose and tongue were the same. I made one that I even put false eyelashes on. That was cute.

Thanks for this. My grandmother use to make these when I was a little girl. I'm 48 now. I always wanted to make them but couldn't remember how she did it.

This is adorable. I'm thinking of making one for my granddaughter who will have a new bedroom in January. Thank you :)

O my, I couldn't believe when I saw the Yarn Puppies, Ma used to make them when I was little, but with the years she had forgotten how to make them,, now i will try to make them thanks for having the time to share it with all of us

My father made a couple of these about 20 years ago, but of course after 4 kids and 3 granddkids, they're falling apart. I cannot thank you enough for this post.

Do you have a video?

I used to make these all the time when I was a kid, now I am glad to find your pattern so I can make them with my grand kids.!!!!

So cute!

Photo of a finished dog made out of yarn.
Making a Coat Hanger Yarn Dog
Crafts ToysNovember 9, 2006
Bailing Wire
Craft Ideas Using Baling Wire
Colorful sweater hanging in a closet.
Removing Hanger Bumps on Sweaters
Crocheted Drying Hanger
Crocheted Drying Hanger
🎉
🎄