Measuring Marshmallow Creme for Fudge Recipe

I have a Fanny Farmer fudge recipe calling for 1 pint of marshmallow creme. It is sold in my area in 7 ounce jars. I know 16 ounces is a pint. But a 7-ounce jar contains about 2 1/2 cups of marshmallow creme. How much should I use in a recipe calling for a 1-pint jar?

Rose from St. Ansgar, IA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Follow directions in the recipe precisely or your fudge may not set.

http://www.baking911.com/candy/fudge.htm

There are 2 cups in a pint.

I have seen the marshmallow creme sold in both 7 oz or 13 oz jars. Most fudge recipes I have seen call for a full 7 oz jar. Maybe your recipe is a bit different.

There are several fudge recipes going by that same name. Maybe check them and compare to yours to get an idea of proportions:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en& ... mer%22+fudge+recipe+&btnG=Search

Edited with better measurement detail explanation ...

Deeli

Two cups to a pint (8 ounces to a cup). So if the jars you purchase are 7 ounces then you'll need to purchase three jars to be able to have 16 ounces for the recipe and will simply have extra marshmallow creme left over (It refrigerates well) and you can use that leftover marshmallow creme for something else. Perhaps spoon it in to hot chocolate or place on top of ice cream ;-)

It is indeed important to follow the recipe direction amounts for fudge to set properly !!!

I've used a Fanny Farmer Cookbook for about three decades and love it because it's been around for so long before even then :-) Go to this link to find out the history about Fanny and her cookbook ;-)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fannie_Farmer

Uh oh. A pint a pound (16 ounces) refers to water. Marshmallows and marshmallow creme have a lot of air in then, so you can't use the pint-a-pound rule.

I think the pint in your recipe means 2 cups of marshmallow creme. Three jars sounds like an awful lot.

The 7 ounce jar likely refers to the weight of the contents of the jar, whereas cups and pints are measures of volume. If you are measuring a pint, then you want to to use the cup measurement. It also depends on whether you are using American measurements or Imperial. American pints are 2 cups, 16 oz of liquid, measured with a measuring cup, not on a scale. Imperial pints are 2 1/2 cups, 20 oz, measured with a measuring cup, not a scale.

I am not familiar with Fanny Farmer, so I am thinking it is a USA thing, and so you want to use 2 cups of your marshmallow cream in this recipe. One jar should be lots, and you will have half a cup left over.

Louel53 has a good point about 'weight' so I just went in to the kitchen and opened a 10 3/4 ounce can of 'condensed' tomato soup to experiment (don't worry, it's in tupperware in the fridge now waiting for lunch tomorrow ;-) ... It was exactly one cup ... At this point I am going to suggest to stick to buying extra jars of the marshmallow cream and return for refund whatever you don't open ;-)

Fanny Farmers recipes were written over a century ago in Massachusetts and I am sure she never dreamed things would be so different these days ;-) I've had trouble with measurements with some of my grama's recipes that she wrote down in the 1930's even :-)

Hope you give this recipe a try and please let us know what you find out and how it turns out !!!

Answer

Marshmallows
Substituting Marshmallows and Marshmallow Creme
Food and Recipes Food Tips ConversionsDecember 22, 2008
stack of light creamy fudge
Recipes for Boston Creme Candy
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
Measuring Elastic
Measuring Elastic for Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 16, 2016 at 5:44:58 PM on 10.0.2.87 in 698 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.