Keeping Parmesan Cheese from Getting Lumpy

I buy the generic Parmesan cheese and according to the label you should refrigerate after opening the container. The problem is it gets very lumpy. Is there a way to prevent this? Thanks for your wisdom!

By Araucano

I also buy the generic brands of Parmesan cheese and have the same problem when I retrieve it from the refrigerator. What I do is open the container, take a butter knife, and press out the lumps.

Try putting some grains of uncooked rice in the jar. It absorbs moisture, the cause of the clumps. This also works on salt shakers to keep it flowing unclumped.

I keep mine a freezer bag and in the freezer, just take as much as you need. It lasts longer that way. Good luck.

This isn't keeping it from getting lumpy but may help getting rid of the lumps. I just shake the heck out of it. What doesn't break up, I smash with a fork.

Even name brand Parmesan in the shakers does this. I do what the others have suggested; shake the container like crazy or use a fork to separate the lumps. Probably doesn't make a difference but I keep mine in the freezer on the door shelf. I do not recommend placing uncooked rice in the container. What a pain in the behind that would be to separate the rice from the cheese! ;-)

I don't have a problem keeping parmesan type cheese in the fridge as I buy a triangle of it rather than grated. It is well covered. When I want some I just grate a small amount using a tiny toothed hand grater which is v quick to do. When I bought it grated and in a box I always kept in in a store cupboard. After a while it went a little 'solid', so out came the fork and after a stirring, it was fine. If you buy it already grated and keep it a while, the flavour is definitely inferior to freshly grated, in my opinion.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceDecember 14, 2010
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
comforter with alarm clock
Fixing a Lumpy Comforter
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
Parmesan Potatoes
Parmesan Potato Recipes