Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Not Your Usual Turkey Sandwich

Pin It
Not Your Usual Turkey Sandwich

Not Your Usual Turkey Sandwich

Now if you are like me, you cooked a turkey that was way to big for your family. Ours was a gift from our son in law, Jose. He bought us a twenty three pound bird and it was way too big, even though we fed a crowd. So for the last couple of days, we have been experimenting with turkey sandwiches. Now my husband Leo loves turkey sandwiches but he is a generic kind of guy and likes just plain turkey with mayo. My son in law David loves sandwiches with the whole dinner on it; turkey, gravy and stuffing and mayo. But my daughter and I are sick of turkey the next day. So here are some recipes that we tried that turned out pretty good.

Turkey Sub

• Leftover Turkey cut into chunks
  • One soft hoagie roll
  • Lettuce
  • Cranberry sauce
Cut the hoagie roll in half and spread the cranberry sauce on both sides. Next put the lettuce on both or one half. Layer on the turkey. Great sandwich especially if you had a lot of cranberry sauce left over.

Barbeque Turkey Sandwich

This is a quick and easy sandwich. We made in them in the microwave.
  • Leftover Turkey cut into chunks or slices
  • Barbeque Sauce (your favorite)
  • Coleslaw
  • Onion Hamburger bun
Put your turkey and barbeque sauce in a microwave safe bowl. I would use glass rather than plastic as it has a tendency to stain when cooking tomato based anything. Cook until the barbeque sauce is hot. Pile on to a bun and top with the coleslaw. Yum! And it was fast and filling.

Turkey Salad

We made these just like our favorite chicken salad.
  • Turkey
  • Mayo
  • Half of an onion chopped
  • 2 stalks of celery chopped
  • Lettuce
  • Tomato
  • Wheat sandwich bread or bread of your choice.
Put all of your ingredients except for the lettuce and tomato in a food processor and process until you have the consistency that you like. We like ours chunky but some people like theirs smoother. Pile the salad on your bread and add lettuce and tomato or your favorite toppings.

Open Faced Hot Turkey Sandwich

• Turkey cut into chunks
  • Leftover gravy
  • 1 small can of mushrooms
  • Bread of your choice (We used the wheat sandwich bread again)
Put turkey in the gravy and add the mushrooms now you can drain them if you have a lot of gravy or add the can juices to stretch the gravy if you don't have a lot left. You can also use canned turkey gravy if you had none left over. When heated through pour over your choice of bread.

I hope this helps you get rid of some of those turkey leftovers and I hope your family loves your sandwiches as much as my family did.

Editor's Note: Sorry that we didn't get this up in time for Christmas leftovers. Hopefully some of you have a bargain turkey in the freezer that needs some inspiration.

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By kathleen williams [23]12/07/2009

I got a turkey before Thanksgiving just for the 2 of us. I cut it up as I do a chicken Put enough for a meal in plastic bags, froze it so I can take out a bag at the time to fix. I like the idea, no big bunch of meat to worry about at 1 time, good luck.

By amy [8]12/07/2009

If you've ever watched "Friends" on tv, Monica used to make her brother a special sandwich with Thanksgiving leftovers. The turkey sandwich with the "moistmaker" which was bread,turkey, and a middle slice of bread soaked in gravy. Then turkey then bread. The gravy soaked bread was the moistmaker-always sounded delicious, and always wanted to try it-but forget every year, figures, haha.

By lisa [1]01/17/2009

Those recipes sound great & easy, i'll keep them in mind next year. Especially that open face mushroom one.

I love turkey but can definitely get tired of it too. My honey makes an incredible sandwich that i can eat forever. it's the turkey leftovers on bread with mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, & Blue cheese salad dressing!! the blue cheese flavor makes it the most incredible taste combo, you really have to try.

By sillepeanut (Guest Post)01/17/2009

You can also take left over turkey and cube it up and mix with a box of stove top dressing, and a can of mushroom soup or gravy and bake at 350 about 30-35 min and enjoy.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.