Crafts Using Bowling Balls

You can create some decorative, unique crafts by working with an old bowling ball. This is a guide about crafts using bowling balls.

Bright Green Bowling Ball
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 17, 2015 Flag
Mosaic Bug Bowling BallscaterpillarMosaic Bug Bowling Balls

Photo Description
I received a few old bowling balls from a friend and wanted to make something cute. I tried painting them but within a couple of months, the sun had eaten through the 4 layers of marine varnish. I decided that tile would be a lot sturdier and hold up to the elements. I bought the tiles and immediately smashed them up. (Gasp!) It was a long process of gluing the tiles down, grouting between the tiles and then applying many layers of grout sealant. I did discover that, while I love crafts, I hate mosaic tiling! But, these guys make me smile. I love watching kids walking down the street and getting excited to see the Very Hungry Caterpillar and his friend the ladybug. (I don't think this one is grouchy, though!)

Photo Location
Torrance, CA (outside of Los Angeles)

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 14, 2009 Flag

Ladybug Bowling BallThis is a bowling ball I painted to look like a ladybug. I used eyeglass frame, handles for the antenna, pushed them into corks and glued it to the top of her head. Her back looks really cute but you can't see it in this photo.

I used outside varnish so I can pop it up under a plant. I put a copper pipe in the ground and sat in on that, using one of the holes in the bowling ball, That is to keep it off the ground. A friend of mine made the eyes move. They really do not move in real life. LOL

By Eve from Gulf Coast

March 26, 2009 Flag

Recycle those old bowling balls. Spray them with primer and then spray paint them any color you choose. Use them as garden globes. The size is a little off but they are not so breakable as the glass globes. Your will just have to buy a stand. This was my idea after breaking so many of those garden globes.

By Linda O from Highland Lakes, NJ

May 7, 2008 Flag

I'm decorating old bowling balls with old mirror parts. What is the best way to break an old thick mirror and the best way to attach it to the bowling ball? Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Bonnie from Lascassas

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are wanting same-size pieces, you might take the mirror to a hardware store and have them "score" it for you so that it can be broken at the score marks.

Hi,

I made a gazing ball out of a bowling ball and mirror. First I filled the holes with expando foam. I had experience working with stained glass so I just cut my mirror into small 1" square pieces. You can do this with a glass cutter. It takes a bit of practice scoring and cutting the glass. I'm sure you can find instructions on the internet. I also added some colored stones to my ball. I attached the pieces with Liquid Nails (you can buy that stuff at Lowes or Home Depot). I have also used the tile mastic that is used to attach ceramic tiles in bathrooms. When you are finished covering the ball with mirror you need to grout it. It really turns out beautiful if you take your time. Good Luck

Rose

Enclose the mirror in brown paper and hit it with a hammer. This gives you uneven pieces. For glue, I would try silicone, you can buy it at any hardware store.

I've used a simple glass cutter (one used to cut window panes or mirror tiles) as well as a glass breaker (a pliers shaped tool used by stain glass workers). To affix glass I've found super glue and/or epoxy to work best.

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Gardening DecorationMay 8, 2012
A pile of yellow tennis balls.
Saving Money on Tennis Balls
Uses for Sweet Gum Balls
Uses for Sweet Gum Balls
sheep wool dryer balls
Homemade Wool Dryer Balls
Learning How to Bowl, Mother and Daughter at Bowling Alley
Learning How to Bowl
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 9:20:41 PM on 10.0.0.81 in 773 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.