Musty Smell on Laundered Towels and Wash Cloths - Categories:

LaundryCleaning

Musty Smell on Laundered Towels and Wash Cloths

I have relatively new towels and wash cloths that are stinky. What can I do to get rid of the odor?

By Fran from Palm Springs, CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I would try a thorough wash in hot water with some vinegar in the rinse. If that doesn't work, try another hot wash with about 1/2 cup of baking soda in the wash cycle (or even in a soak cycle).

Best Answer

Ours does that from time to time, hubby says it is because all of the detergent, and some water doesn't sling out in the spin, sits in the washer, and gets musty smelling. The baking soda and vinegar worked well for us, as well reducing the number of towels per load, and making sure they didn't sit in either the washer or dryer after the cycle was done.

We have a front load machine. Most people use too much detergent. A tablespoon of He Tide and a bit of vinegar is all that is needed. Also, in drying, when towels are dried on a high drying section, it breaks up the threads of the towels. Low drying takes a bit longer, but has a softer, better smelling and longer

lasting towel.

Depending on the color of the towels, you could try washing them with a little chlorine bleach along with the detergent. I avoid dark towels because this is the only way I've found to keep my towels smelling fresh.

Use air fresheners in your clothes cabinet.

Use air freshners in your clothes cabinet.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryApril 3, 2011
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Recycled Dish Cloths
Making Your Own Recycled Dish Cloths
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 4:15:09 AM on 10.0.2.7 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.