Recycle Plastic Bottles to Water Plants

When it comes to summer time and plants drying out, what I find works is taking water bottles (like Perrier water bottles found in the recycle box at work), filling them up with water, and then sticking them in soil about 2-3 inches in the soil. This lasts for about 4 days in containers.

For outdoor garden, I place it close to the plant and it last about 3 days. As the soil drys it allows for air to be released and allowing the water to fill up the spot where the air has been created. No need to worry about overwatering with this method, as gravity works its magic. No need to spend money on glass balls for watering. If you want to decorate them, modpoge them with tissue paper.

Source: My Mom

By earthygrrl from Toronto ON, Canada

How do you place them in the soil. Are they upside down and if so, how do you put them there without the water coming out. Or are they right side up with a hold in the bottom?

I do the same thing with glass bottles, if you turn them upside down quick as you push them in the dirt only a little water is let out. I recently posted about it with photos on my blog, it may help!

http://simplysweetsasha.wordpress.c ... 09/06/11/do-it-yourself-aqua-globes/

Water Bottle
Using Recycled Buckets and Bottles for Irrigation
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsJuly 2, 2009
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Felt covered bottle cap becomes Easter bonnet.
Craft Uses for Plastic Bottle Caps
Plastic Vitamin Bottle
Uses for Plastic Vitamin Bottles
🎉
🎄