Updating on Old Rock Fireplace

Has anyone ever updated an old flat stone fireplace surround? I don't want to remove the rock (too messy and I don't want to wreck the wooden floor). I'm thinking of using concrete (?) to fill in the unevenness and cover the entire surface. Thought I'd tint the concrete (I don't want the usual gray color) and maybe put something in it to add some interest to the surface. My style is modern so I'd like something to reflect that, just not this rustic. Does anyone have comments or suggestions? I could use a little brainstorming. Thanks.

By Deb from Wichita, KS

Best Answer

It think it looks modern the way it is!! You could stucco it. It is easy. But I think changing out all the old fireplace hardware to a more modern hardware might just give you the look you want.

Best Answer

Almost anything you put over it will crack and crumble. The stonework you have is beautiful and much desired, it would cost you thousands of dollars to build one like you have. Please take a little time and learn to love what you have.

Best Answer

If you just have to change it, sheet copper or brushed stainless would work.

My neighbor did a project like yours. He put drywall over his, a lot less mess than plastering over it. It turned out really nice.

It looks beautiful the way it is! But if you really want to make a change maybe you can swap out the fireplace cover.

I like it the way it is but if you must change it, what about brick veneer. You can buy it in thin sheets and glue it on. No one can tell it isn't the real thing.

You could do a white wash paint over it, which will make it more modern.

Rock Fireplace with a recliner in front
Updating on Old Rock Fireplace
Home and Garden Home Improvement Fireplaces and StovesOctober 13, 2010
Logs burning in a fireplace.
Cleaning Your Fireplace
Tile Backsplash
Updating a Tile Backsplash
Decorative Fireplace
Making a Decorative Fireplace
Homemade rock candy.
Homemade Rock Candy
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 10:29:42 AM on 10.0.0.67 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.