Disengaging Hand Wheel On Brother Sewing Machine

Brother VX-1200 sewing machine. How do I disengage the hand wheel to stop the needle going up and down when filling the bobbin?

Maureen from Widnes, Cheshire UK

I'm not familiar with that model, but on most machines, the wheel pulls out or pushed in to disengage. On older models, the wheel usually turns to the left to loosen, then to the right to tighten it back.

You didn't say how old this machine is, so I'm assuming it's fairly new. The newer Machines doesn't have the disengaging feature. I have a new one that fills the bobbin by its self and the needle works like it's sewing. Hope this helps.

Were you able to disengage it? On the hand wheel, is there a 'center' wheel in the middle of the hand wheel? That you can turn counter clock wise (while holding main part of wheel in place). If you have a picture of it, or can explain it a little more, I think I could help you! GOOD LUCK!!

Have you tried the company website? they usually have 'Contact Us' among the links. You could probably obtain a book for your model of machine, usefull for keeping it oiled and tension adjusted right. I have learned the hard way that those two details make the difference between a frustrating time getting very little done versus a delightful smooth session of sewing.

Mine does NOT disengage either, evidently some don't.

Mine disengages when I push the bobbin to the right for threading. It rengages when I push it back.

Crafts SewingSeptember 4, 2007
Brother Sewing Machine
Brother Sewing Machine Manuals
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
closeup of sewing machine needle area
Brother Sewing Machine Product Reviews