Does anyone have a pattern for velvet ribbon and pop can tab belts? Thank you.
Jane from Otis, OR
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
1. Take one pop tab and place it on a piece of twine that is big enough to surround your child's waist + 12 inches.
2. Tie it in a knot at the end, leaving at least 6 inches of twine loose.
3. Place another pop tab under the first with the "bottoms" (which is the side that would be down on your can of pop) facing each other.
4. Slide the 2nd pop tab slightly to the right. You should see an opening in the two pop tabs that is oval in shape. Feed the twine up through that hole.
5. Place another pop tab next to the first pop tab. You should see another oval of space when you look at the 2nd and 3rd pop tabs. Feed the twine down through that hole.
6. Keep repeating the "add pop tab, feed twine" until you have a long enough string of tabs to encircle your child's waist.
7. Tie the loose end of the twine in a knot around the last pop tab. There should be 6 inches of twine loose after knotting.
8. Repeat the entire process a second time using the other hole on the pop tab. (This time is a bit easier, as the tabs are already in place.)
9. String beads up near the pop tabs, then again down at the end of the twine. Leave twine open between the beads for tying around the waist.
This belt can be adapted to be longer and used as a belt for an adult.
* I learned the hard way that twine may not be the best thing to use on this craft. It unravels some, which gives the belt a unique look, but it is a bit thick to try to feed through the beads. In another set of instructions, it says to use craft cord (nylon blend). That may be a much better choice.
You can use two different colored cords, too.
Be careful that all sharp edges on the pop tabs are filed down before adding them to your belt or throw those particular tabs away.
This craft is rather difficult and time consuming. It would work wonderfully as a project for a crafter's workshop. Nice project when you are working with teens.
|How do you make belts out of pop tabs?|
Jade from Chicago, IL
|Soda Pop Tab Belts||04/10/2006|
|You can go to these links|
soda/pop can tab charms
tutorial for soda tab purse
|By Michele (Guest Post)|