Door Draft Stopper

I want to make a door draft stopper. Any ideas? Thank you.

By Barbara from Union Mills, NC

Take a 4-5" wide strip of strong fabric and measure it about 3" longer than the width of the door. Sew the end shut and then down the length, double seamed. Fill with play sand, cat litter or something non-food, till about 4" from the end. Secure end and sew, by hand if you have to (the tube is kind of heavy by then). Lay it down in front of the door, molding the sand around the drafty bottom. When you don't need it, pick it up in the middle and the slack in sand will let you hang it over the knob.

Problem Solved!

Hope that helps.

Don't want to intrude to posts already here however I have found using sand eventually will flatten. Using cat litter is dusty. I have crocheted several of these and have used beans such as pinto beans. They are inexpensive and don't create dust nor flatten. They are heavy enough to stay put but light enough to move when needed. If you do not crochet, but sew, the dollar stores have inexpensive towels. Just sew those together and fill with beans. Let us know what you have tried and how it has worked out for you!

I made my door draft stopper out of foam pipe insulating, it comes in sticks and is fairly cheap.

I made mine to look like the ones they advertise on t.v. Just make a long rectngle the size to fit your door(I used a leg from an old pair of jeans) then sew straight down the middle to form two long "pockets" then cut your foam to fit your door,slide foam into pockets and slide onto bottom of door. It stays put when you open & close the door.

January 14, 2011 Flag

To keep out cold drafts from under a door, make a draft catcher. Just get a piece of flannel the width of the door, roll it into a tube and tie the ends and middle with some string the same color. Put it against the bottom of the door to block any cold air. This keeps your house warmer, and saves a lot on the heating bill.

By Laurie from Portland, OR

Door Draft Stopper

Because draft stoppers are so cumbersome to remove when you open and close the door, we made ours two-sided. We made two draft stoppers the usual way. Then we wrapped each one in a large piece of heavy duty garbage plastic. (We put one on each side and rolled them towards the middle, making a "U" shape.) We made sure that there was enough room to fit the door depth and taped them shut. Slip them under the door and we had a waterproof draft stopper we didn't have to wrestle with. I'm not too great at explaining, but this should a start in letting someone figure it out. (12/01/2009)

By Frazzled Leslie

November 30, 2009 Flag

If you have drafts coming in from under your door, here's a quick and easy solution from items you already have on hand to make a draft stopper:

Take a bath towel or two, roll them up lengthwise, and tie with yarn, embroidery thread, or string, every few inches to secure. :-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Use a Rolled Towel for a Draft Stopper

I have made my own Draft Dodger by measuring my door and add 2-3 inches to the length and 9 inches wide. Cut a piece of fleece. Fold in half so you have a long tube. Sew twice across the bottom and up the long side. Turn right side out and fill with 'kitty litter', then sew the opening closed. No drafts from under the door! (01/27/2009)

By JoanDogs

Use a Rolled Towel for a Draft Stopper

Our dogs - especially our mutt - would dismantle anything we sewed, so we just end up tossing a shirt or something in the crucial spot. That way, when the dogs inevitably drag it away to chew on, we haven't wasted a lot of effort.
Stuff like this is too nice for us "doggie" folks, lol! (01/28/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Door Draft Stopper
Making a Door Draft Stopper
Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergyJanuary 14, 2011
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
pen to paper titles "Last Will...."
Writing a Will Without a Lawyer
Bathtub full of water.
Makeshift Bathtub and Sink Stopper Ideas
tub drain
Retrieving Parts from a Broken Drain