FabricCleaning

Cleaning Mock Suede

Category Fabric

How should I clean mock suede seating? It is 100% polyester.

By Errol

Check out one of the sewing books on caring for fabric such as Sandra Betzina's book "More Fabric Savvy" or a number of other books on the same topic at your local library. I am a surface designer and rely on these books whenever I use a fabric I am not familiar with. I own Sandra's first book "Fabric Savvy" and according to it you clean faux suede by washing it in warm water and detergent. I usually use the permanent press setting and do a light wash unless there is a stain on the fabric.

Then you dry the fabric in the dryer on a low setting with a towel and a tennis shoe in with it for ony a short time. You then remove the garment and pull the seams taught to prevent puckering. You can put it back in the dryer for a total of five times doing the same thing each time. I have successfully washed faux suede many times following these directions and the suede comes out very soft and clean.