DecoupageCrafts

Decoupage Newspapers on a Wall

Category Decoupage

I am embarking on a huge collage project, with hundreds of newspaper pictures. I have 3 questions.

Is there a substance (like varnish or polyurethene) that I can use instead of decoupage medium. For the size of my project I would spend a fortune on mod podge, and am looking for an alternative.

Also, will any of the 'glue' mediums prevent the newspaper photos from yellowing? I will go with the more expensive glue if it will prevent yellowing.

And finally, rather than glue the pictures directly to my garage walls, is there some sort of backer board that I might use, that is inexpensive, and that won't eventually damage the newspaper photos from behind.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Lisa from Tampa

You can use wallpaper paste, white glue or acrylic gel medium (matte finish or gloss). All can be bought in large quantities...wallpaper paste and white glue at Home improvement stores and acrylic gel medium at Art Supply Stores. I often use white glue and then when it is dry I seal it with a clear acrylic sealer like verathane (sp)?

Stanlie

Sounds like the above info is good for the glues. If you are wanting to attach the newsprint to something besides just the garage walls then use Luan board. You will have to tack it up to the walls of the garage but it would be easier to take down ect.

there have been various hints to prevent yellowing of newspaper clippings using milk of magnesia. This is an old one. I don't know how much but I have seen it several times on the net. Claudia

I am embarking on a similar project. How did your newspaper wall turn out? Any tips, dos and don'ts?

If you use luan as a background, remember to paint the back side of the board. This limits the warping that will occur with any thin wood board when glue or paint is applied to only one side.