Uses for Newspaper

Besides reading the newspaper, I find many uses for it around the house.

Newspapers have so many other uses. I always keep some on hand for whenever I need it.

Source: From over thirty years of experience being married with children.

By it's.only.me from NE PA

14 More Solutions

Here's a tip to help make a huge difference for our green planet. Keep old newspapers that are abundant in recycle dumpsters. Line in home trash containers with old newspaper.

As we know, newspapers can be used for a whole lot of things around the house. But they're so unruly and hard to grab. Here's an idea - open a few days' papers out on your kitchen table, use scissors to cut them into fourths.

The Luxury Spot site suggests that for a little gift, you can spray newspaper thoroughly with HAIR SPRAY for a cool lacquer finish! You will never be without wrapping paper again!

Shred newspapers, I put mine in a big trash bag. It makes great mulch or packing material for sending gifts, light wieght and free!

Line your trashcans with newspapers to catch leaks. This will help keep our cans cleaner.

I keep a laundry basket in the back of my car. I put my newspaper and plastic bags in the laundry basket. Once a week, I stop at a local resale shop that is run by a charity. They need the paper to wrap glass items and the bags for customer's items.

Remember that newspaper is very absorbent - so use it as a frugal alternative to sop up spills. It's also great for cleaning glass surfaces, leaves no lint!

I noticed some of those Christmas boxes I bought were just the right size for newspapers. I store newspapers for use with my pets, etc. It looks pretty and I get to see the box all year!

Save on paper towels by using newspaper to clean, and clean up some things. I save newspapers, and I cut them in half or smaller. You can just separate small sales flyers like you get from CVS, Walgreens, etc.

Newspaper is also a way to restore musty smelling books or drawers of bureaus bought at yard sales, or that have been stored in a barn or basement. For books, put crumpled newspaper in the bottom of a paper bag, put book inside, add crumpled paper loosely all around it, and above it.

If you have home delivery, papers can really pile up fast. What are your tips for recycling unwanted newspapers?

Answers

By (Guest Post)

If you have a fireplace/woodstove, get a paper log roller. They used to be readily available in hardware stores, however you can still find them sometimes at garage sales. The logs burn forever, although they do create a fair amount of ash. But what a trade off! Free heat for a more frequent ash cleaning.

By rosa brown (Guest Post)

I shread newspapers and use in my compost pile. I also lay layers of newspapers on top of soil in the garden ,keeps the soil warm, and keeps weeds down, I then put a thin layer of soil or mulch over the papers to it looks pretty. Humane society shelters, and " critter " dr's offices are always looking for newspapers. I also have pot maker that my daughter got for me, great for making paper pots for seed starting. I also use them to clean windows, works great and no streaks, and biogradable . I also lay down a few papers ,about an inch thick, in areas where I know slugs " hang out " , then just lift the paper and throw them away, or crush the slugs and throw them in the yard for the birds. Newspspers are great for crafting too, used the for paper machae, paint with primer and decorate whatever you have made with the machae. Use them on your crafting table as a base when you are crafting something messy, just wrap and throw away. Hope " you all " can use some of these ideas.

By Cheryl (Guest Post)

I use newspapers on my kitchen counter when I cut up juicy watermelon or cantaloupe. I also spread newspapers like a tablecloth when peeling/eating boiled shrimp. Put the shells on the table and when done you just fold it up and put it in the trash. You can use the Sunday comics as wrapping paper or use the other sections as padding when shipping packages to friends and relatives to keep them up to date on local happenings. Boy Scouts, churches and schools earn money from recycling newspapers. Boys Scouts will pick up the papers, churches and schools have recycling bins on church/school grounds. You could also teach your kids/grandkids how to make hats from folded newspapers. Always a big hit!

By Mara (Guest Post)

The SPCA needs papers for the homeless animals!

By Tawnda (Guest Post)

My daughter chose to have a Mexican themed birthday party a few years ago and we made our own pinata, as well as miniature pinatas with a hole left in the top to fill with goodies and we made a tissue paper tip to stick out of the hole for decoration. Each one was painted differently. The kids parents enjoyed them as much as the kids did!

By Mark (Guest Post)

You can buy one at www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?pcode=820

By pam (Guest Post)

Newspaper - use for sopping up spills on the floor/counters, etc. instead of expensive paper towels -

Use a roll of newspaper to put in your boots to keep them upright -

If you have a shredder - or access to one - shed them to use as packing materials.

In a pinch newspapers are very good insulating material and can be used to supplement blankets, etc. - but remember, they are flammable.

Use to clean glass, etc. - no lint!

Years ago, at our public library, I checked out a book entitled, "The Newspaper Everything Book". I believe it's now out of print and I cannot locate a copy anywhere. Does anyone have this book they'd be willing to sell, or know where I can purchase a copy? TNX Blessings.

By Vicky

Fiberglass or foam insulation are the best options to use in your home but if those items are not available there are some primitive alternatives. Safety is a primary concern alternative insulation ideas be sure to install proper insulation as soon as possible.

Newspapers

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

When I sweep the floor, I take a saved newspaper (just one page ). Fold it over gently lengthwise (do not crease), it should be about four inches folded. Dip quickly into a basin of water and unfold gently on floor behind swept up trash.

Better Living Green Living ReusingNovember 1, 2011
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Uses-for-Newspaper-1.html