Alternative Insulation Ideas

Category Insulation
Fiberglass or foam insulation are the best options to use in your home but if those items are not available there are some primitive alternatives. Safety is a primary concern alternative insulation ideas be sure to install proper insulation as soon as possible.

I am wondering if we can use cardboard or scrunched up newspaper in my walls for insulation? It's free and there is plenty of it around.

By angie from Eufaula, AL

Answers

Best Answer

Yes, you can. The newspaper would be best. We did this with my husband's workshop which is an old trailer stripped inside. He used borax and what I would call newspaper dust. It was free and came in these huge bags. He mixed the borax with it and blew it in with the back end of a vacuum cleaner.

Not sure your situation, but it might be worth a try. I would never use this if I used a wood burning stove during the winter.

Best Answer

No. Newspapers are like sponges for moisture. They will cause mold and mildew if exposed to moisture. Also are a fire hazard and vermin such as mice live the stuff to build nests in. Blown in insulation is ground up paper products that have been chemically treated to be fire and vermin resistant. Find something else such as fiberglass insulation from a big box store that will be a lot safer.

Best Answer

I am a firefighter's wife and I was horrified to find out you want to use paper products of any kind to insulate INSIDE your walls. That is a fire waiting to happen! Unless you plan to treat it with a fire retardant solution I would say a resounding NO!

And to treat it would be more expensive than getting good insulation in the first place. It sounds like maphisx7's DH bought his paper product somewhere and perhaps it was treated to retard fire, I'm not sure. But I'm sure I wouldn't chance it in my walls.

While I am not sure I'd use it because of moisture problems, borax is a fire retardant and firefighter's wife should know that. During the depression, newspaper was often pasted onto walls for insulation. Times have changed and there are now better types of insulation to use, but that wasn't your question.