Finding The Right Coffee Measurements

By Casey Brackbill 2 3

I want to make a good pot of Coffee and I can't ever measure the amount of coffee to the amount of water. What does everyone else find works for them? I made the strongest "put the hair on your chest" coffee this morning and DH won't drink it. :-(

Casey

Showing: Answers Sort

By Suzanne Spencer 8 136 Flag

My husband and I tend to like our coffee on the stronger side. However we use a 1/4 measuring cup (For 10 cups) that we leave in the coffee container every morning. That way we get consistant flavor and never have to measure or search for something to use.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I generally decrease my coffee scoops to about 3 to the amount of water. If I have 8 cups of water I generally add about 5 scoops of coffee. I have never had any complaints on my coffee.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Camilla North 20 75 Flag

I use a 1/2 tablespoon measuring spoon and use 1 spoonful (a little heaping) for every cup of water. I don't use the measuring spoon for anything else, so it stays in the coffee can. Also, the type of coffee will affect how strong it is; Colombian and French Roast are stronger than, say, your brand's regular blend, and flavored coffee tends to be mellower. Freshly ground coffee may also be stronger, depending on the type. You may need to adjust the amount depending on what type of coffee you have. And do invest in good coffee. That will make a difference too.

Camilla

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I put in one scoop (1 TBL.) of coffee per 2 c. water.

So 10 C. cofee maker, 5 scoops.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By tuey 5 16 Flag

I USE ONE TABLESPOON PER CUP BECAUSE I LIKE MY COFFEE STRONG. IF YOU MAKE COFFEE AND IT IS TO STRONG JUST REMOVE THE GROUNDS AND ADD MORE WATER TO THE COFFEE MAKER.

ALSO I WOULD EXPERIMENT WITH SOME DIFFERENT BRANDS. I LOVE GUATEMALA ANTIGUA BUT I KEEP COMMUNITY COFFEE [BETWEEN ROAST AND DARK ROAST] ON HAND FOR MY GUESTS THAT DON'T SHARE MY SAME TASTE.

ALSO, I DON'T LIKE CHICORY WHICH IS IN MOST COFFEE AND COMMUNITY HAS SEVERAL CHOICES WITHOUT CHICORY ADDED.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Here is one thing to remember. A standard "cup of coffee" is only 6oz. (not the standard 8 oz. like you learned when baking.)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By kidsNclutter 188 Flag

We use the scoop that comes in the instant iced tea mix w/ sugar, not the diet kind. We use 1 1/2 scoops of coffee for a pot of 10 cups & leave the scoop in the coffee can. Also use the same measurement for our 8 cup thermal caraffe coffeemaker. Goes to show, each pot is different. Never converted this to an actual unit of measure.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan K. Beal 3 52 Flag

I typically use one or two tablespoons per cup. It depends on the variety of coffee I am using. I like very strong coffee -- like French Roast. I also try not to make more than I can drink at any given time. Coffee that sits around for hours starts to taste really stale. I have a tablespoon that I have designated as my coffee measure.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have a 32 cup, Empire Harvest Gold coffee maker that belonged to my parents. I want to use it at a party this weekend but I have no instruction on how much coffee to use for 32 cups of coffee. I want to make it medium. Please email me at "parmagary at yahoo dot com

Thank You!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I'm a caterer and we have the darnedest time trying to come up with the right amount of coffee grounds for lets say 10-20-30-or even forty cups of coffee. We use Folger's so if anyone can help with a simple measuring device, You will be my best friend forever.

Thanks.

Editor's Note: The recommended amount per cup is 1 Tablespoon ground coffee. There are 16 Tablespoons per cup. For 10 cups it would be 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. For 20 cups it would be 1 1/4 cups. For 30 cups it would be 1 3/4 cups plus 2 Tbsp. for 40 cups it would be 2 1/2 cups.

Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By diana curiel 1 Flag

I Would like to know how many tbsp of coffee for 6 or 12 cups of water.I tend not to find the right measurements of coffee for the right amount of water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have roasted my own coffee for many years, and use several different methods to brew, (vacuum, drip, french press). 1 measured Tbsp. per 6 oz. cup is a good starting point, but there are many factors. Water temp, freshness of coffee, type of grind, etc. as to make any generalization pointless. Experiment! Vary the amount and record your results. Remember, use the same coffee, water, coffee maker etc. each time and change only the amt. of coffee. You will be amazed at the difference a little change will make. Decide on your own preference, and enjoy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

i used a shot glass as a measurement for 5 cups 1 full shot glass it's a medium size shot and it tastes just right try several times until you get the perfect taste of your own.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My Hamilton Beach 42 cup percolator says: 3/4 cup grounds to 12 cups of water; 1 cup for 18 cups; 1 1/2 cup for 24 cups; 1 3/4 for 12 cups; 2 1/4 for 36 cups and 2 1/2 cups for for 42 cups.

:)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Shawn L. 1 Flag

I went to the Dollar Tree and bought a set of two coffee measurement spoons that are 1/8 cup and first did 3 of the scoops for a 12 cup coffee maker and realized it was too strong. Then I did two scoops for a 12 cup coffee maker and it was perfect. So I hope it helps: ^ )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Making Coffee Tips and Tricks
Previous
Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesJanuary 23, 2005
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Finding an Honest Mechanic, Mechanic Holding up Car Part in Front of Car
Finding an Honest Mechanic
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Making Coffee Tips and Tricks
cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 9:50:44 AM on 10.0.1.6 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings