Making Coffee Tips and Tricks

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 288 Posts

Hubby noticed that the coffee we had been buying seemed bitter. We use filtered water and had a new coffee maker. So I told him to do what my mom used to do. Add a little pinch of salt to the grounds before turning on the coffee maker. It does work!

We have tried several brands of coffee with and without the salt. Salt wins! I know people will say to cut down on salt, but the little dab it takes to make the coffee better is worth it.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

More Solutions

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 169 Posts

I have done several posts about my spilling stuff all over the place. Here is yet another. When I move to another place I always choose the shortest length of counter space, wasted space as it were, for my coffee brewing station.

Filling Coffee Maker

Tired of finding coffee grounds in the bottom of your pot? Here's a tip to keep them in the basket, where they belong!

Bronze Tip Medal for All Time! 64 Tips

Pouring water from the carafe into the coffee maker usually included a lot of water spilling onto the counter. To avoid this mess, I pull the kitchen spigot which has the hose for rinsing the sink, etc.

out and over the coffeemaker.

I've been having problems with coffee filters collapsing and letting grounds into the coffee pot, plus gunking up the filter basket. The following solution has worked well for me and I haven't had a problem since...

I just discovered the best cuppa Joe possible far as staying fresh. The secret? Buy your own coffee grinder (found mine, plus the coffee beans at Kroger). Do NOT grind the beans at the store.

Coffee too hot and needs to be cooled down? Are you in a rush? Do you not want to put watery ice in your coffee? It depends on how you like your coffee.

If you want sweetness put creamer in an ice tray and freeze it. If you just want to cool down your coffee, freeze some coffee.

Cool Off Coffee With Frozen Creamer

Bronze Tip Medal for All Time! 86 Tips

Always rinse coffee filters before brewing coffee. This removes any loose paper fibers that can end up in your brew and make your coffee taste papery.

Coffeemakers have a glass canister to hold our coffee that somehow leaks, no matter what when you pour from it. I found a simple way to stop the leaking when you pour, which is to lift the spout that covers the canister where the liquid is stored.

I bought two carafes; one for coffee and one for tea. As soon as I make either, I pour it into it's designated carafe. Instead of sitting on the hotplate or having to be reheated over and over it's ready anytime and tastes better too.

Saves on my electric bill.

21 Questions

I want to make a good pot of Coffee and I can't ever measure the amount of coffee to the amount of water. What does everyone else find works for them? I made the strongest "put the hair on your chest" coffee this morning and DH won't drink it. :-(

Casey

Answers

My husband and I tend to like our coffee on the stronger side. However we use a 1/4 measuring cup (For 10 cups) that we leave in the coffee container every morning.

That way we get consistant flavor and never have to measure or search for something to use.

By Nancy351 (Guest Post)

I generally decrease my coffee scoops to about 3 to the amount of water. If I have 8 cups of water I generally add about 5 scoops of coffee. I have never had any complaints on my coffee.

I use a 1/2 tablespoon measuring spoon and use 1 spoonful (a little heaping) for every cup of water. I don't use the measuring spoon for anything else, so it stays in the coffee can. Also, the type of coffee will affect how strong it is; Colombian and French Roast are stronger than, say, your brand's regular blend, and flavored coffee tends to be mellower.

Freshly ground coffee may also be stronger, depending on the type. You may need to adjust the amount depending on what type of coffee you have. And do invest in good coffee. That will make a difference too.

Camilla

By Vanessa (Guest Post)

I put in one scoop (1 TBL.) of coffee per 2 c. water.
So 10 C. cofee maker, 5 scoops.

I USE ONE TABLESPOON PER CUP BECAUSE I LIKE MY COFFEE STRONG. IF YOU MAKE COFFEE AND IT IS TO STRONG JUST REMOVE THE GROUNDS AND ADD MORE WATER TO THE COFFEE MAKER.
ALSO I WOULD EXPERIMENT WITH SOME DIFFERENT BRANDS. I LOVE GUATEMALA ANTIGUA BUT I KEEP COMMUNITY COFFEE [BETWEEN ROAST AND DARK ROAST] ON HAND FOR MY GUESTS THAT DON'T SHARE MY SAME TASTE.
ALSO, I DON'T LIKE CHICORY WHICH IS IN MOST COFFEE AND COMMUNITY HAS SEVERAL CHOICES WITHOUT CHICORY ADDED.

By rose (Guest Post)

Here is one thing to remember. A standard "cup of coffee" is only 6oz. (not the standard 8 oz. like you learned when baking.)

We use the scoop that comes in the instant iced tea mix w/ sugar, not the diet kind. We use 1 1/2 scoops of coffee for a pot of 10 cups & leave the scoop in the coffee can. Also use the same measurement for our 8 cup thermal caraffe coffeemaker. Goes to show, each pot is different. Never converted this to an actual unit of measure.

I would like to make a 12 cups of coffee, how much coffee do I need?

By Blanch H. from West Chester, PA

When using a Bunn coffeemaker, can you make smaller amounts of coffee instead of a whole pot?

By meme7_2000

I have a 12 cup drip coffee maker. I buy Maxwell House coffee and it comes with a scoop. How many do I need for 12 cups?

We just bought a cheap coffee maker like always and after it's brewed there is a film on top of the coffee right away, not after letting it sit. I use filtered water. What am I doing wrong?

By Sharilyn

I do not have purified water coming from my sink faucet, so I can't fill the coffee pot with the sink sprayer. Now what do I do for good water for my coffee?

By Carol

Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesJanuary 3, 2013
🎆
🌻
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Coffee-Tips-and-Tricks.html