Making Coffee Tips and Tricks

Category Beverages
Making the perfect cup of coffee can be an elusive task. This is a guide about making coffee tips and tricks.

I have done several posts about my spilling stuff all over the place. Here is yet another. When I move to another place I always choose the shortest length of counter space, wasted space as it were, for my coffee brewing station. I fill my canister in the sink so as not to spill it on the counter. I now have a way to avoid spilling the water all over. If your sink faucet has the sprayer attached to the faucet instead of off to the side you can fill your coffee maker with that. It works great and no water slopped all over.

By Marty from Knoxville, TN

Tired of finding coffee grounds in the bottom of your pot? Here's a tip to keep them in the basket, where they belong!

When you set up your grounds basket, instead of using just the one filter under the grounds, add another to cover the grounds.

The top filter will help to keep the grounds from splashing over the edges of the bottom filter and into your pot of coffee.

You don't have to use two of the exact type filters, if you have a coffee maker that requires use of the cone shape - which are more expensive. Just use a cheaper ruffled filter to cover the grounds. Nest it around the mound of coffee grounds and press against the side of the basket.

You will be enjoying pot after pot of grounds-free coffee. Enjoy!

source: I experimented with this years ago, and it works.

by suengenenc from Clyde, North Carolina

Hubby noticed that the coffee we had been buying seemed bitter. We use filtered water and had a new coffee maker. So I told him to do what my mom used to do. Add a little pinch of salt to the grounds before turning on the coffee maker. It does work!

We have tried several brands of coffee with and without the salt. Salt wins! I know people will say to cut down on salt, but the little dab it takes to make the coffee better is worth it.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Pouring water from the carafe into the coffee maker usually included a lot of water spilling onto the counter. To avoid this mess, I pull the kitchen spigot which has the hose for rinsing the sink, etc. out and over the coffeemaker. Fills quickly and easily with no spillage.

By Linda from Vista, CA

I've been having problems with coffee filters collapsing and letting grounds into the coffee pot, plus gunking up the filter basket. The following solution has worked well for me and I haven't had a problem since.

1. Take one clean, white papertowel and lay it flat on a clean, dry surface.

2. Place an appropriate measure of coffee in the center of the paper towel.

3. Spread out the coffee to the approximate size of the bottom of your filter basket.

4. Fold the side of the paper towel closest to you over the coffee, so the edge of the paper is at the edge of the grounds.

5. Turn the paper towel 90 degrees clockwise and repeat. Do this until all four sides are folded in.

You should end up with a square packet of coffee, approximately the size of your filter basket, with the grounds safely tucked inside. This can be placed, fold side down (otherwise the papertowel will unfold and let the grinds escape), in your drip coffee maker as usual.

These could also be made a week or two in advance and placed in a Tupperware container in your freezer for extra speedy coffee making in the morning.

By coffee2go from Tempe, AZ

Just discovered the best cuppa joe possible far as staying fresh. The secret? Buy your own coffee grinder (found mine, plus the coffee beans at Kroger). Do NOT grind the beans at the store.

Whenever you want coffee, just measure out a small amount, depends on how strong you like your coffee, but about 1 1/3 Tbsp. works for me. Throw them in the grinder and pulsate for 10 to 13 seconds. Brew the coffee like normal. It will still taste like fresh 2 plus hours later, maybe longer I always get it drank up by then! I always hated the taste it got after about 45 minutes of sitting!

Only grind the beans up as you need them. If you ground them all in the store you'd just have the same effect you've been getting all along, not so fresh and really strong coffee. It's a wonderful feeling to be able to go to the pot and drink my fresh coffee after it has sat there a long time and not be wasting any more, pouring it down the drain. I refused to drink it after it had sat for any length of time past about 45 minutes. If only the restaurants would do this then we all wouldn't be grossed out with bad takeout coffee! So the secret is to just grind the little amount of beans as you need them. Wonderful coffee for me from now on!

Source: My carpenter told me this the other day!

Coffee too hot and needs to be cooled down? Are you in a rush? Do you not want to put watery ice in your coffee? It depends on how you like your coffee. If you want sweetness put creamer in an ice tray and freeze it. If you just want to cool down your coffee, freeze some coffee.

Milk can be frothed by shaking it in a jar but this will not steam the milk. This is a guide about frothed milk in a jar.

A spoonful of frothed milk being added to coffee.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making coffee in a French press. A delicious cup of coffee can be prepared using this method with the right amount of coffee ground coarsely.

French press containing coffee, two white coffee cups, and two spoons on a white counter top

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

There is nothing more frustrating than going to make a pot of coffee and finding you have run out of filters. The is a page about making coffee without a filter.

Making Coffee Without a Filter

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making coffee without a coffee maker. You don't have to have a coffee maker to brew a great cup of coffee.

cup of coffee

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Always rinse coffee filters before brewing coffee. This removes any loose paper fibers that can end up in your brew and make your coffee taste papery.

Coffeemakers have a glass canister to hold our coffee that somehow leaks, no matter what when you pour from it. I found a simple way to stop the leaking when you pour, which is to lift the spout that covers the canister where the liquid is stored.

I bought two carafes; one for coffee and one for tea. As soon as I make either, I pour it into it's designated carafe. Instead of sitting on the hotplate or having to be reheated over and over it's ready anytime and tastes better too. Saves on my electric bill.

I want to make a good pot of Coffee and I can't ever measure the amount of coffee to the amount of water. What does everyone else find works for them? I made the strongest "put the hair on your chest" coffee this morning and DH won't drink it. :-(

Casey

Answers

My husband and I tend to like our coffee on the stronger side. However we use a 1/4 measuring cup (For 10 cups) that we leave in the coffee container every morning. That way we get consistant flavor and never have to measure or search for something to use.

I generally decrease my coffee scoops to about 3 to the amount of water. If I have 8 cups of water I generally add about 5 scoops of coffee. I have never had any complaints on my coffee.

I use a 1/2 tablespoon measuring spoon and use 1 spoonful (a little heaping) for every cup of water. I don't use the measuring spoon for anything else, so it stays in the coffee can. Also, the type of coffee will affect how strong it is; Colombian and French Roast are stronger than, say, your brand's regular blend, and flavored coffee tends to be mellower. Freshly ground coffee may also be stronger, depending on the type. You may need to adjust the amount depending on what type of coffee you have. And do invest in good coffee. That will make a difference too.

Camilla

I put in one scoop (1 TBL.) of coffee per 2 c. water.
So 10 C. cofee maker, 5 scoops.

I USE ONE TABLESPOON PER CUP BECAUSE I LIKE MY COFFEE STRONG. IF YOU MAKE COFFEE AND IT IS TO STRONG JUST REMOVE THE GROUNDS AND ADD MORE WATER TO THE COFFEE MAKER.
ALSO I WOULD EXPERIMENT WITH SOME DIFFERENT BRANDS. I LOVE GUATEMALA ANTIGUA BUT I KEEP COMMUNITY COFFEE [BETWEEN ROAST AND DARK ROAST] ON HAND FOR MY GUESTS THAT DON'T SHARE MY SAME TASTE.
ALSO, I DON'T LIKE CHICORY WHICH IS IN MOST COFFEE AND COMMUNITY HAS SEVERAL CHOICES WITHOUT CHICORY ADDED.

Here is one thing to remember. A standard "cup of coffee" is only 6oz. (not the standard 8 oz. like you learned when baking.)

We use the scoop that comes in the instant iced tea mix w/ sugar, not the diet kind. We use 1 1/2 scoops of coffee for a pot of 10 cups & leave the scoop in the coffee can. Also use the same measurement for our 8 cup thermal caraffe coffeemaker. Goes to show, each pot is different. Never converted this to an actual unit of measure.

I typically use one or two tablespoons per cup. It depends on the variety of coffee I am using. I like very strong coffee -- like French Roast. I also try not to make more than I can drink at any given time. Coffee that sits around for hours starts to taste really stale. I have a tablespoon that I have designated as my coffee measure.

I have a 32 cup, Empire Harvest Gold coffee maker that belonged to my parents. I want to use it at a party this weekend but I have no instruction on how much coffee to use for 32 cups of coffee. I want to make it medium. Please email me at "parmagary at yahoo dot com

Thank You!

I'm a caterer and we have the darnedest time trying to come up with the right amount of coffee grounds for lets say 10-20-30-or even forty cups of coffee. We use Folger's so if anyone can help with a simple measuring device, You will be my best friend forever.
Thanks.

Editor's Note: The recommended amount per cup is 1 Tablespoon ground coffee. There are 16 Tablespoons per cup. For 10 cups it would be 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. For 20 cups it would be 1 1/4 cups. For 30 cups it would be 1 3/4 cups plus 2 Tbsp. for 40 cups it would be 2 1/2 cups.
Hope this helps.

I Would like to know how many tbsp of coffee for 6 or 12 cups of water.I tend not to find the right measurements of coffee for the right amount of water.

I have roasted my own coffee for many years, and use several different methods to brew, (vacuum, drip, french press). 1 measured Tbsp. per 6 oz. cup is a good starting point, but there are many factors. Water temp, freshness of coffee, type of grind, etc. as to make any generalization pointless. Experiment! Vary the amount and record your results. Remember, use the same coffee, water, coffee maker etc. each time and change only the amt. of coffee. You will be amazed at the difference a little change will make. Decide on your own preference, and enjoy!

i used a shot glass as a measurement for 5 cups 1 full shot glass it's a medium size shot and it tastes just right try several times until you get the perfect taste of your own.

My Hamilton Beach 42 cup percolator says: 3/4 cup grounds to 12 cups of water; 1 cup for 18 cups; 1 1/2 cup for 24 cups; 1 3/4 for 12 cups; 2 1/4 for 36 cups and 2 1/2 cups for for 42 cups.
:)

I went to the Dollar Tree and bought a set of two coffee measurement spoons that are 1/8 cup and first did 3 of the scoops for a 12 cup coffee maker and realized it was too strong. Then I did two scoops for a 12 cup coffee maker and it was perfect. So I hope it helps: ^ )

I use two scoops of coffee for 5 cups.

I would like to make a 12 cups of coffee, how much coffee do I need?

By Blanch H. from West Chester, PA

When using a Bunn coffeemaker, can you make smaller amounts of coffee instead of a whole pot?

By meme7_2000

Answers

I make 4 cups every morning just add 4 cups of water and 2 scoops of coffee. The instructions in my book say 4 cups is the least you can make.

And if you want just one cup, try one of the coffee filters/holders that sit on top of your coffee cup. 1 Tbsp of coffee, pour on the boiling water, and enjoy!

I have a 12 cup drip coffee maker. I buy Maxwell House coffee and it comes with a scoop. How many do I need for 12 cups?

Answers

This is very subjective, but at our house I use one level scoop per each three cups of water. However if I am making a full pot (which happens once in a blue moon) I use three and a half scoops, because it seems when I make a full pot using full scoops it gets a little strong.

We just bought a cheap coffee maker like always and after it's brewed there is a film on top of the coffee right away, not after letting it sit. I use filtered water. What am I doing wrong?

By Sharilyn

I do not have purified water coming from my sink faucet, so I can't fill the coffee pot with the sink sprayer. Now what do I do for good water for my coffee?

By Carol

Answers

Everybody that I know uses water straight from the tap to make coffee.