Making Coffee Without a Filter

Category Beverages
There is nothing more frustrating than going to make a pot of coffee and finding you have run out of filters. The is a page about making coffee without a filter.

Have you ever run out of coffee filters on a day that you really need a fresh cup of Joe? The solution that I discovered is to take a regular paper towel sheet, fold it in half, place it in the place you would put your filter. Add your coffee, and brew as you normally would, and I guarantee you will have that perfect cup of coffee!

Source: Tip is inspired from my ex brother-in-law.

By Barbara from Pittsburg, CA

What can I use in place of coffee filters for one morning?

By Paula from Birmingham, AL

Answers

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

It tasted gross. I used Bounty and still have the paper towel taste in my mouth. I don't know how much bleach and other chemicals they use but it is a bad idea to use paper towels.

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Better idea is to use cheesecloth, if you have any, folded over itself a few times. A metal mesh strainer (very fine) can be used.

Last but not least, you can put the coffee directly in the hot water, let it simmer (like tea) and then carefully pour the coffee off, leaving the grounds behind.

Best Answer

Once, I emptied some tea bags and refilled them with coffee. They don't have any chemicals, like paper towels, or flavor, like napkins. Just don't over-fill them or they will leak.

Best Answer

I had this problem today when I was trying to make iced tea in my Mr. Coffee iced tea maker. I used a well washed pair of silk long johns that I used to wear to ski. I cut a piece off the leg measured to fit the basket, closed the bottom with a plastic bread wrapper fastener and made tea as usual. It actually worked better than the filters.

I am looking for something to use as a coffee filter other than paper towels or coffee filter? I am out of them.

By brandi from Albany, MO

Answers:

Substitute Coffee Filter in a Pinch

Well, there's not much more you can use to substitute a coffee filter with other than a paper towel or large heavy duty paper napkin.

If you can, go to a store like WalMart or Target and purchase a coffee pot that has a mesh basket that fits into the draining basket. I've had one for a couple of years and found it for about $15.00. The cost has more than made up for the price of coffee filters and all you have to do is rinse after each use and wash by hand every couple of days. (11/06/2009)

By Ann

Substitute Coffee Filter in a Pinch

Maybe try cutting up a linen kitchen towel? (11/07/2009)

By Heather Krucker

Substitute Coffee Filter in a Pinch

Just came up with another idea! As long as the grounds aren't too small cheesecloth might work? (11/08/2009)

By Ann

Substitute Coffee Filter in a Pinch

Once, I emptied some tea bags and refilled them with coffee. They don''t have any chemicals, like paper towels, or flavor, like napkins. Just don't over-fill them or they will leak. (04/02/2010)

By Debra

Run out of coffee filters for your coffeemaker? Don't worry. Just use a doubled paper towel in it's place. Works great.

By Robin

Answers:

Substitute Coffee Filter in a Pinch

Another great tip:

At Wal-mart they have those gold filters to fit any coffee machine. You pay about $5 for one and it lasts you forever. You not only save money in the long run, but paper and you never have to worry about running out of coffee filters. (01/31/2005)

By MrsCatherine

Substitute Coffee Filter in a Pinch

You don't want to use printed paper towels for this. The dye chemicals go right into your coffee cup. (02/05/2005)

By Dee

Substitute Coffee Filter in a Pinch

I tried the paper towels. It worked great. Thanks a lot. (12/14/2005)

By

Substitute Coffee Filter in a Pinch

It tasted gross. I used Bounty and still have the paper towel taste in my mouth. I don't know how much bleach and other chemicals they use, but it is a bad idea to use paper towels. (05/05/2008)

By

Substitute Coffee Filter in a Pinch

Yeah, okay do not do this with napkins, paper towels, toilet paper, or anything like that. The prints contain trace amounts of cyanide and other chemicals.

A better idea is to use cheesecloth, if you have any, folded over itself a few times. A metal mesh strainer (very fine) can be used. Last, but not least, you can put the coffee directly in the hot water, let it simmer (like tea) and then carefully pour the coffee off, leaving the grounds behind. (08/24/2008)

By