Caution with Bird Seed, Bird Droppings and Dogs

For anyone who may not know this, dogs can have seizures if they ingest house birds' seed or feces. We learned this the hard way. My sister was temporarily living with us, and she had a bird. Liesl' our dog, began eating the seed and feces that was blown to the floor. Immediately she began having seizures. She maybe had one or two a day, and the last day my sister was here and took the bird away, she had three. She has had none since. This is a very scary scene. I hope no one else has to go through it Liesl' is 10 1/2 years young and is our pride and joy. Thanks for letting me share.

I have a rat terrier and a cockatoo. I've caught my terrier eating the bird seed from around the cage he started having seizures; one last November then another in late February, and another yesterday. Could this be what is causing them? He is otherwise quite healthy and active. He will be 2 years old in June.

I would get a cage skirt for the cages. That is a scary thing to endure watching your dog have seizures from things like that. Thanks for sharing!

Dog Having Seizures
Pets AdviceMarch 29, 2006
Birds perched on a man's hand and shoulder.
Cleaning Bird Droppings From Fabric
Bird Seed
Covering a Bird House With Bird Seed
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed