Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Windshield Washer Fluid is Frozen

I accidentally put Windex in my windshield washer fluid reservoir and now nothing comes out of the lines to clean the windshield. I think it may have frozen. Is this really harmful for my car and how should I fix this problem?

By DAH! from Calgary

By Jackie04/05/2011

Most like the fluid has dried at the hood sprayers and you will need to use a thin wire or needel to clean them with, after they are clean run some clear water through them and the don't use windex use washer fluid it don't normally clogg them up.

By Anonymous [848]12/01/2010

The fluid not coming out of the reservoir will not hurt your car.

It's not difficult to remove the reservoir and if you don't have the tool to do it perhaps a friend or your mechanic will lend you the wrench. It's just a matter of a couple of bolts and disconnecting the fluid line. Just unhook it and take it inside until the Windex has melted, dump it out, place reservoir back where it belongs and put in the proper fluid. Might seem like a big hassle but better than not having proper fluid at all or trying to find a heated car wash in the winter and/or taking a chance of your car paint being ruined with gas line antifreeze if you don't wax the car right away.

One question: Have you looked to see if there is even anything in the reservoir? It's possible it's just a coincidence and that there is actually a crack in the reservoir (been there myself). In that case you can try to repair the reservoir or save yourself a hassle by replacing it.

By Helmut [8]11/29/2010

Just drive to a nice and warm manual car wash. Pour a bottle of gas line anti-freeze into the washer reservoir. Take your time getting the car really clean and shiny, and every now and then test the washer. Once it works again, let it squirt until it is empty. Fill with winter grade windshield washer fluid and let it squirt some more.

After that wash any areas, that may have gotten sprayed or dripped on, and spray wax it as a last step. The alcohol in the gas line anti-freeze cleans off the wax and leaves the paint unprotected.
Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://webby.com/humor

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Windshield Washer Fluid is Frozen

My windshield washer fluid is frozen. What can I do? Thanks.

Lola

RE: Windshield Washer Fluid is Frozen

Most windshield fluids are good to about 20 degrees, you need to buy a deicer for the winter time that is good to a below 0 temp. Putting this in on top of your present fluid will only work if you container is less than 1/4 full. You may have to wait till 1:00pm, the heat of the day, to mix this in with what you have, or you may have to drain your present fluid all together. (01/26/2009)

By Leonard

RE: Windshield Washer Fluid is Frozen

If the fluid is frozen it may be because you used plain water. However, the car should be put in a warm garage to thaw out. You could pour warm water over the windshield washer bottle until the fluid thaws, but you also have to thaw the lines that run from the bottle to the wipers which may be difficult to access. It may be the lines are frozen and not the bottle. (01/26/2009)

By Harry

RE: Windshield Washer Fluid is Frozen

When the windshield washer fluid thaws out, just add some alcohol to it. Mix about a pint of alcohol to a gallon. (01/26/2009)

By boonjaras

RE: Windshield Washer Fluid is Frozen

Here in the interior of BC where winter is truly winter. There is a summer windshield washer fluid and a winter windshield washer fluid. I"d say perhaps you have the wrong season's in your vehicle. (01/27/2009)

By Mary

RE: Windshield Washer Fluid is Frozen

Since hair dryers are used to thaw frozen water pipes, I think I'd try one on my window washing fluid. If your window fluid has frozen, you are not using the proper type for cold weather. (01/28/2009)

By Carol in PA