Other Uses for Lighter Fluid

Category Miscellaneous
Always be careful when using this fluid as it is very flammable. This is a guide about other uses for lighter fluid.

Lighter fluid for cigarette lighters (Ronsonal, Zippo, or store brand) is wonderful for removing sticky stickers or labels. It even works on fabric! Just a little bit will dissolve the messy sticky residue.

I had gotten some quilt squares on sale and left them in my car during 100 degree weather. Needless to say, the labels were sealed to the fabric. I had used the lighter fluid on solid objects and figured what could I lose. It works wonderfully. I just had to rinse out the fabric and I was so happy.

Just remember, no smoking during use.

Source: Used this at my job at Amber Unicorn used bookstore to remove labels from book dust jackets and paperbacks.

By Terry from Goodsprings, NV

The easiest way to remove price and other stickers, even from book covers and jackets, is lighter fluid. Just soak the label and let it sit a minute and most labels will lift right off. Because lighter fluid is very volatile, it dries quickly and doesn't leave a trace. If you have a particularly stubborn label, get as much off as you can after the first soak and repeat. I've never had to do this more than twice.

Editor's Note: Be very careful when using lighter fluid as it is VERY flammable.

My husband, a guitar player for years, finds that putting some lighter fluid on a cloth and wiping down his guitar strings removes any dust and oil buildup from your hands. This will enhance the life of the strings also.

He has also used the lighter fluid to spot clean ties and spots on his suits saving an unnecessary emergency trip to the cleaners. It not only works like magic before your eyes, the fluid evaporates quickly not leaving behind a wet spot which soda water will do!

By Trisha from Ventura, CA