Main DishesRecipes

Sunday Dinner Ideas

Each Sunday after Church I make lunch for 10-12 people. The problem is I have run out of ideas. Everyone is getting a little tired of roast, brisket and chicken. What do some of you do who have large families for Sunday Dinner?

I need help!

Beth

Build your own tacos or soft tacos. Brown meat, add your own or store bought seasonings. Prepare lettuce, sour cream or yogurt, salsa, avocado and any other toppings you can think of. Let people serve themselves.

What about stew and biscuits or a thick beef soup with biscuits? Lasagna or meatloaf and potatoes/rice are 2 other options. Hey, even hamburgers on the barbeque and weiners/hot dogs for any kids you have over would be a change. Make it a potluck, sometimes, with everyone bringing something to contribute. What about baking a salmon? Serve it with rice and a hot vegetable and salad.

Have fun with all the ideas that will be coming in for you.

try having a pot luck dinner. Have your guest bring a covered dish of anything that would be like PICNIC STYLE DINNER. Or if you don't want to ask your guest to bring a dish then you make PICNIC STYLE dishes. Maybe grill out hot dogs and hamburger

How about lasagna or enchiladas?

Holly

Why not try a baked potato/salad bar? Just set out potatoes and several bowls full of green onion, bacon bits, shredded cheddar, lots of veggies, chilli, etc.

The best is....... spaghetti dinner, with garlic bread of course.

How about a salad bar. Have bowls of lettuce, raw spinach, cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, shredded red cabbage, cucumbers, onion, mushrooms, red and or green peppers, etc. Also bowls of shredded cheeses. Assorted Crackers, assorted flavors of dressings, Could also add dishes of chopped ham, imitation crab meat, turkey or chicken, etc. What ever your imagination can think of.

How about making a big bowl of tuna salad? You could serve a big scoop of tuna salad on salad greens & decorate around the tuna scoop with pieces of various other colorful raw veggies. Have baskets of different varieties of crackers & dinner rolls to pass with the meal as well as a few different salad dressings. Then you could serve a light dessert, such as Banana Pudding or a pretty fruit tray.

Salsbury Steak -Its quick and easy to make for every 1 1/2 of hamburger meat mix in a envolope of onion soup mix. (I can get a box here in texas from dollar general 2/1.00) Make sure meat mixture is mixed well make patties thin brown on each side. When all the patties are done I then mix in 2 packages of brown gravy mix and 2 packs of onion mix with about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of water and blend. Place patties back in pan and simmer till done. Great with rice.

Why not a Spaghetti dinner, with a garden salad and garlic toast.

Lasagnia!

Put it together the night before. Bake it in the morning, turn off the oven before you leave and it should still be warm when you get home!

My mother always makes this for the pastor's dinner at our church. It's called Chicken Tetrazinni. It's chicken chunks, noodles, sauce & cheese. You can probably find the recipe in a cookbook or on the internet. It's a casserole. Easy, Good & Hearty!

Meatballs go with any noodles or plain with salad.

Try a ham dinner, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, and brownies.

Try Kielbasa. Slice into pieces, brown in skillet. Use with saurkraut or noodles to go with.

Italian sausages in the crockpot with sliced onion and green peppers. Put in crockpot the night before when you go to bed, let cook on low until lunch on Sunday. Goes well with all side dishes but my favorite is mashed potatoes or noodles. You don't need to add any liquid as it makes its own. Very good.

Let me know if you try this and what you think. My family and friends love it.

patsAZ

I'm entertaining guests tonight, which is how I found this post, but I come from a large family. Every Sunday my mother would make either tacos or burritos. Sometimes we would get tired of it, but now that I'm away from home, I miss it. Start a tradition!

This time of year.

Stuff some green peppers night before & Bake.

Stuffed Green Peppers, mashed patatos, large salad.....cobbler

I take can of peaches...pour in baking dish, sprinkle yellow cake mix on top of peaches...add stick of butter.

Peach Cobbler.

There are many ideas for Sunday Dinner:Spaghetti, lasagne, taco salads, various choices of soup, chicken and dumplings, try sub sandwiches, BBQ, fried chicken, schnitzel , meat loaf, shepherd's pie.......

Pot roast, vegetables and broiled potatoes, gravy, French bread, salad, and red wine.

Have you tried preparing some of those traditional dishes in new ways? Because I am trying to eat healthier, I have been experimenting with meat free versions of traditional meals. My favorite right now is vegetable lasagna or a spinach quiche. You may also try peach muffins to serve with greens (mix cabbage and collards). You'd be surprise what a little twist will do for the entire meal. Either way, relax. I'm sure your family and friends appreciate the fellowship more than anything else!

Pasta goes a long way and there are many recipes for it.

Marinated and braised beef short ribs with oven browned potatoes, a tossed salad with broccoli and cheese.For desert, strawberry short cake and fruit punch. Balanced and not too much time to prepare. H.

This is one of my favorites; a great winter dish, only a few ingredients, and very tasty, It's just potatoes, bacon, onions and white sauce.

Grease a large casserole dish, or two if you are feeding a lot of people, Wash, peel and cut as many potatoes and onions as needed, Layer them into the dish with the bacon, sliced, ie, layer of potatoes, layer of bacon, layer of onion till the dish is full - make a good amount of white sauce, Pout this over the other ingredients. Cook in s moderate oven till the potatoes are tender. This is a delicious meal. You can have green veg, ie.. beans or peas as a side, or a salad. It's up to you.

The very best and funnest thing to do is get Julia Child's cookbook, 'Mastering The Art of French Cooking', and make her Boeuf Bourguignon - it's on page 315! This is delicious and can be made in advance. You will be your family's favorite cook! But I warn you, you will become addicted and start your own march through that fabulous book.