Broken Glass in Gravel

My yard was vandalized and the glass gazing ball shattered all over the gravel. Short of replacing the gravel, how do I remove the broken glass from the gravel?

Lisa from Los Angeles, CA

WOW toughy well I would hand pick biggest ones and use a shop vac to get the rest ,rocks would be easy to put back into drive.

What a good question. I'm guessing that the method used for panning for gold might work. Otherwise, I would call a gravel company for advice.

When I spill beads over the carpet, I use a vacuum cleaner with a rag over the end to collect them. This might work on a large scale if the gravel was heavier than the glass and it wasn't too buried.

Or you can get sieves for sifting soil, perhaps putting your gravel through one of those so the small bits of glass fit through (large bits you could then see to pick out) and the gravel stays on top. This is a bit like the Oracle's idea I think.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear about your vandalism. In the morning when the sun is at just the right angle, I can see pieces of glass at the end of my driveway, and that's when I go out and pick them up. Once the sun moves, it no longer reflects off the glass and I can't see the glass pieces.

What a opportunity to sit down and enjoy the sun! Just sit on an old cushion and pick up the pieces by hand and enjoy the outside. Work in small time intervals so it won't seem so overwhelming. I have to do this EVERY YEAR to the stones around my in-ground pool. I take my portable radio and "just do it" until it is done!!

I have to admit that, since 1984, it now takes me longer and longer each year to do this!! LOL

Glass will eventually lose all of its sharp edges over time. Think about sea glass. You can possibly speed up the process by driving back and forth over the bad spots a bunch of times. (If you have a kid with a 4-wheeler or a teenager with a license, I think they'd be pretty willing to help) I mean, picking it out is a very noble idea, but if it were me... I'd just wear shoes for the time being and wait for it to erode.