First Aid for Cut from Broken Glass

When you are wounded by broken pieces of glass it can sometimes be embedded in the cut. This is a guide about first aid for cut from broken glass.

Okay so my boy fell and cut himself in a parking lot filled with glass. I was worried if he had a piece of glass inside. So I checked his cut and can't clearly see if something is there. Should I take him to the doctor and does glass inside the skin and veins affect your child? Some help please, I'm freaking out. Please someone.

By Mitchelle

Answers

Yes, by all means take him to a doctor or clinic, even if the cut isn't big it may be deep. The cut itself is dangerous enough, but who knows what was in the containers that the glass came from. It is important to remove even tiny slivers of possibly contaminated glass.

If you are freaking out, please do not wait for your submission to be posted to find out what we all think.

That said, you need to remember that glass with lead in it is the only kind that will show up on an X-Ray. So, food containers like mayonnaise jars and such won't.

My daughter has a piece of glass in her foot that happened back in 89. The body calluses around a foreign matter and protects it from cutting anything around it. I would take him in but chances are it's a small piece and has already worked itself out.

Another remedy for smaller pieces of things is take the lining of an egg and put it over the cut, then cover with a bandage. As it dries, it often draws out what ever is close to the surface.