Making a First Aid Kit for Dad

Category Crafts
A great project for the kids to make Dad for Father's Day or his birthday is a small first aid kit for home or office. This is a guide about making a first aid kit for dad.

With Father's Day coming, it may be a good time to think "outside the box". Everyone should have a first aid kit close at hand and if your dad doesn't, why not make him one? With just a few supplies, you can come to his rescue by making him his very own Boo-Boo box to keep in his car or the house.

Approximate Time: time will vary

Instructions:

1. First, decide on what items you will be filling the kit with. Try filling the box to get a general idea of space and placement, especially if you plan on installing some elastic to hold certain items. If so, do this step first. I used an empty box with a flap top that a cell phone came in.

2. I installed my elastic on the under side of the top flap. Decide on the width of the items you want the elastic to hold and make dots with a pencil. Poke a hole through each dot. Push paper fastener through elastic and into hole so it comes out the opposite side. Open prongs so they lay flat. Do this with each hole you have made. Once done, lay tape over side with open prongs. Cover completely. This will help secure the fasteners and prevent them from poking through the felt.

3. The aim is to cover the box completely in felt, working one side at a time. Trace each side of box on paper and cut out. You will use these for templates to cut your felt pieces. Label each so you know the placement for them. Cut each piece from felt and add 1/4 inch to all sides that will meet another side. Once they are on the box, you will use this extra length to stitch all seams together. If you are decorating any side, do so before adhering to box. Put double backed tape on each side and line up felt. You can stitch seam to seam, as you go, or wait until all are stuck on by tape and do them all at one time.

4. If using bear, use pattern and cut from foam. Cut injured arm along dotted line. Cut skinny strips from gauze pad or muslin. Wrap one ear and arm gently, securing with a few dots of glue. Cut out feet and draw details on with marker. Glue to bear. Cut inner ears, nose and heart from felt or foam and glue on bear or draw on using markers. I sewed on two small beads for eyes or just dot with marker. When complete, glue onto box.

5. I used the words "Be Safe" from an advertisement and made a frame from cut craft sticks. I painted it and then glued on mini band aids.

6. I then gave it a coating using clear nail polish. I sewed the felt heart on with a button in the center and hand stitched the saying, "First Aid Kit 4 Boo-Boo's".

7. I chose to keep my kit closed by using two buttons and an elastic loop. I sewed them on going right through the cardboard for stability.

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

Make a great first aid kit for Dad on Father's Day from old lunch boxes.