Cleaning Up Broken Glass

Category Glass
A mess of broken glass can be a challenge to clean without hurting yourself or leaving some behind. This guide is about cleaning up broken glass.

Here's a tip I used today. I broke a glass ornament today and the glass was very thin and sharp. Little shards went everywhere and I was worried as I have a cat.

A tip I remembered was to 'mop' up the little pieces of glass with a slice of bread. I shone a torch over the area afterwards and I think I have every last piece.

I wore my gardening gloves in case I got a splinter in my finger but I must say, it worked very well.

So for broken glass - grab a slice of bread!

Tips for safely and effectively cleaning up broken glass. Post your ideas.

Top Comment

Dampen a papertowel and gently dab. This should pick up the tiniest of glass slivers.

This is an easy way to clean up typical messes on kitchen floors. To get up all slivers of glass from breaking a glass use a soft piece of bread, just gently press on top of the glass slivers. It should get up every little speck.

By Linda from Oceanside, CA

To pick up tiny pieces of broken glass, take some tape and roll it into a ball with the sticky side out and dab up the glass and toss away.

By Lazetta

When cleaning up broken glass, sweep up as much as you can, then wipe the area with wet (not quite dripping wet) cotton balls. The cotton balls will catch any tiny slivers of glass that the broom can't catch.

By Camilla

When you break thin glass on hardwood floors you are left with splinters of glass. I use duct tape wrapped around my hand the wrong way, and go over the area and it picks up every little sliver of glass.

It really picks up well and you can turn the tape around on your hand carefully.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

An easy way to pick up small pieces of broken glass without hurting yourself is to just scrunch up several pieces of any type of bread, then use this ball of bread to pick up the pieces of glass, by pressing the bread into the glass.

My yard was vandalized and the glass gazing ball shattered all over the gravel. Short of replacing the gravel, how do I remove the broken glass from the gravel?

Lisa from Los Angeles, CA

Answers

By neil McMillan (Guest Post)

WOW toughy well I would hand pick biggest ones and use a shop vac to get the rest ,rocks would be easy to put back into drive.

What a good question. I'm guessing that the method used for panning for gold might work. Otherwise, I would call a gravel company for advice.

When I spill beads over the carpet, I use a vacuum cleaner with a rag over the end to collect them. This might work on a large scale if the gravel was heavier than the glass and it wasn't too buried.

Or you can get sieves for sifting soil, perhaps putting your gravel through one of those so the small bits of glass fit through (large bits you could then see to pick out) and the gravel stays on top. This is a bit like the Oracle's idea I think.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear about your vandalism. In the morning when the sun is at just the right angle, I can see pieces of glass at the end of my driveway, and that's when I go out and pick them up. Once the sun moves, it no longer reflects off the glass and I can't see the glass pieces.

By (Guest Post)

What a opportunity to sit down and enjoy the sun! Just sit on an old cushion and pick up the pieces by hand and enjoy the outside. Work in small time intervals so it won't seem so overwhelming. I have to do this EVERY YEAR to the stones around my in-ground pool. I take my portable radio and "just do it" until it is done!!

I have to admit that, since 1984, it now takes me longer and longer each year to do this!! LOL

By Beth (Guest Post)

Glass will eventually lose all of its sharp edges over time. Think about sea glass. You can possibly speed up the process by driving back and forth over the bad spots a bunch of times. (If you have a kid with a 4-wheeler or a teenager with a license, I think they'd be pretty willing to help) I mean, picking it out is a very noble idea, but if it were me...

I'd just wear shoes for the time being and wait for it to erode.