Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Strong Odor From New Rubber Floor Mats

I have just bought a box of vehicle rubber floor mats with the intention of cutting them in half to use as stair treads. Unfortunately they have a strong smell, probably due to the vulcanizing process. Does anyone have cure to get rid of this smell?

Alan from The Potteries, UK

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Nancy Wall [1]02/14/2007

Put an open can of fresh coffee in the car for as long as you can. I have removed many different kinds of odors this way.

By Michawn [16]02/14/2007

Leave them outside in the sun (cold or not) for a while, the smell is actually dangerous for you, it's the plastic vapors. I know there is a more technical term for them, but I did find out about them when I couldn't stand the smell of new plastic shower curtains.

P.S. Ikea has the chemical (no smelly) free ones!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Odor From New Rubber Floor Matting

Does anyone have any suggestions how to remove the odor of new industrial rubber floor matting?

Hurner from New York, NY

RE: Odor From New Rubber Floor Matting

Try "NilOdor" it's a commercial product usually found only at a Janitorial or Commericial cleaning supply company; ck. the yellowpages or google it " " online. Used to be a slight bubblegum scent left behind for about 3 hrs. but now there are 4-6 scents to choose from. And it can be diluted for whatever your needs are. We used it on our Father's dresser, chair, bedding after he chain-smoked constantly 20hrs. day for the last 3-4 years they were married. (01/01/2006)

By bikemannc