Rubbing Alcohol to Clean TV Screen

I was surprised at how much dirt, dust, and smoke scum was on my TV screens after I tried this cleaning method. The rag I used was literally brown with sticky stuff.

I used a soft old rag from a T-shirt, you can use a diaper or anything soft. Dab it with rubbing alcohol and rub it on a small space at a time on the screen. Turn off the TV while doing this. Now look at the rag, amazing huh?

You can go over the area several times until it's clean. Just finish it with a clean cloth. Try it, you won't believe it and you can see TV much better when it's clean and alcohol evaporates so there's no streaks. If there are streaks, just go back and clean again until it's streak free.

By Sewnva from Danville, VA

Alcohol is my favorite cleaner. Not only does it degrease well, but it also disinfects and deodorizes. I use it to clean everything from my glasses to countertops to the floor when I spill food. It even dissolves ink from permanent markers, i.e. Sharpies. I keep alcohol in a misting bottle right near my sink. Two warnings though:

1) DO NOT USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME! While it's tempting to use it to degrease a stove, doing so might set your entire stove on fire.

2) Because alcohol is a solvent, it can harm some surfaces, i.e. certain plastics. So make sure you test a small area if you're unsure.

Alcohol is generally okay for old fashion glass screens but don't use them on modern LCD or plasma flatscreens. The modern screens are plastic and often have an anti-glare coating. Alcohol can dissolve the coating or even the plastic.

Home and Garden Cleaning ElectronicsFebruary 2, 2010
Isopropyl Alcohol
Isopropyl Alcohol Stain on Wood Furniture
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
A bottle of rubbing alcohol.
Fixing Rubbing Alcohol Stains on Wood