Recycling Glass Jars

I have about 20 or more little 2 oz. glass jars with lids. Seems a shame to throw them out. Any ideas what to do with them? Thanks!

By Batwing from Virginia

Are they the size of baby food jars? If so, I use them to save misc. nails, screws, washers, etc. My great uncle did the same, but he actually screwed the lids onto a board above his work table and then screwed the jars on so they were hanging rather then taking space on his work table. My sister used them to store her herbs.

I save those small jars all year. Each summer when I make jelly or jam, I fill several of these small jars with each flavor. The small jars go wonderfully in gift baskets for holidays/birthdays. Also, if someone is ill or there is a death in the family, most people bring lunch or dinner foods. I fix a disposable tray with bagels, muffins, biscuits and include several different flavors of these small jars of jelly/jam. Add some grapes and bananas (most people like these) and you have a breakfast tray that is always appreciated.

Readingiggits

I love those little jars! They have so many uses! My favorite use is to group them together and put tea lights in them! They are also great for many homemade gifts. Put bath salts in them, or hot chocolate mix and give them as gifts to all those people you don't know well but would like to gift anyway (mailman, hairdresser, kids teacher, etc). They are also good as seed starters in your kitchen. I wrapped some in decorative paper and then planted wheat grass in them and put them all over the house in places I don't have enough room for larger plants. they are also great mini storage containers for any thing and every thing. Have fun.

Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas y'all. I just love this site.

I use them like the tea light idea, but I put colourful sand in the jars and votive citronella candles on top and put the jars around my deck. They look pretty and keep the bugs away.

Hi, I saw a great project on the internet once, but can't remember the site. Get the kids to paint the outside of the lids gold or silver and decorate around the edge (not on top - you will see why) with glitter, sequins, small beads, etc. Once dry, turn the lid upside down and glue a plastic toy to the lid, e.g. a little Santa Clause (NB! the toy must fit comfortably in the jar when the lid is replaced!) Use epoxy glue (the kind where you have two tubes and you have to mix it). Once the glue has dried, put about a teaspoon of glitter in the jar and fill it with glycerin or baby oil.

Spread epoxy glue thinly all around the inside of the sides of the lid (on the "thread" of the lid), making sure there are no "gaps" in the glue. Screw the lid on the jar and leave overnight to dry. Turn upside down and shake - and voila! your own snowmobile! You can even decorate a small tin, e.g. tuna or tomato paste, and mount the completed snow globe on that, if you want a bigger "base" for the snow globe. This project has so many possibilities - you can build a little "scene", and how about painting the outside of the glass jar with some glass paints to make a backdrop for your scene? Enjoy!

You can make some nice xmas gifts out of the jars. Wash them good and fill them with different kinds of popourie. Cover them with lace and tie a ribbon around the lace. You can cover them with the lids until you are ready to give them away. You can keep these on hand for that emergency gift or when you just want to be nice to smeone.

Use them to store leftover food. Or use them as drinking glasses. Save the lids and use them so that if you knock over the "glass" it doesn't spill out. Peace!

Reusing Glass Jars, Glass Jar on White Background
Reusing Glass Jars
Better Living Green Living Recycling GlassApril 6, 2009
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Glass Jar Being Put in Recycling Bin
Recycling Glass
Removing Odors from Glass Jars
Removing Odors from Glass Jars
🎄